Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Day 2 at Saba & Savta’s house.

The morning began with an unusual calm. Basically, the only remaining jobs at Saba and Savta's house were; setting up the computer, setting up the TV, emptying out the guest room and cleaning it too.

While cleaning was going on, I got a call back from a neighbor about a washing machine. Now, the last sentence may seem cryptic to you but to me it makes perfect sense. You see, someone was selling a washer for a mere 850 shekels and I (who needed a washer – for my apartment…) was VERY interested. So, I was waiting to find out when I could go check it out. Time schedules were all conflicting though – so somehow we wound up going home, to the plant nursery and to do grocery shopping in Ramat Beit Shemesh before we were able to see the washer.

To make a long story short, we went, we saw, we bought. Hey, whatever works. Right? So, yes – if you are one of those people who are having a hard time figuring out the point of this ramble lemme make it clear, plain and simple… I am now the proud owner of a washing machine.

Back to Saba dn Savta's place - During our ‘cleaning spree’ we sat the kids down in front of the TV and let them watch ‘Harry Potter 3.’ Even Daddy got in on the action. (Though he was confused as to why the menahel of the school who has a long white beard, wasn’t wearing a kippa. He also wanted to know why the ‘Rabbi’ pointed at Harry and yelled ‘aresto momentum’ – we advised him to read the books…)

When all was done inside of the house, we moved out to the garden and cleaned out all of the weeds. A gardener driving by stopped and asked what we were doing. We told him that we were gardening. So he gave us his card and told us to call him. Personally I think that, whichever gardener comes to garden now - has an easier job, because we spent 2 days pulling out all of the weeds and basically doing his job for him…

Then we went home. We put dinner up to heat and I baked a ‘Welcome to Israel’ cake for Saba and Savta. I tried to give it a chocolate swirl (but as usual, my ‘great idea’ – well, lets just say… it wasn’t so great.) Then I begged Mommy to make the frosting (which she agreed to do, on the condition that I would frost the cake.) Of course, I didn’t keep my end of the bargain. (But, I do have a good alibi. My friend from Seattle called! Amalia and I schmoozed for quite a while. It was really really nice to get to talk to her! I miss her so much, I mean – we lived in the same apartment for two years and now we are thousands of miles apart. It’s quite annoying to be so far from one’s friends.) Anywho, back to the story – while I was on the phone Mommy frosted the cake. And put on the sprinkles.

At around 10:00 pm a neighbor rand the door-bell. “There’s a problem with our computer, is your Dad around and can he fix it?” Ummmm, HELLO!? It’s a little late, dontcha think? Well, Daddy (being the good and gracious neighbor that he is) went over to help them out. This left me with the task of putting the Sandbox/Moonbeam and the Dibble to bed. I took care of the Dibble first. I was expected to read to him. Two stories. First about “Sam and the Eggs that are green” and then about “The baby bird who falls out of the tree and goes looking for his mother, who is NOT a snort.”) After the second book he was out. I went to check on the sandbox. He was also asleep. So I went downstairs to see what else I could do.

I cut up vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables. “For lunch tomorrow” my mom explained. Then, ‘somebody’ had to go back to Saba and Savta’s house to hang up the signs and to put the food into the fridge. Daddy was scared to go alone (at least that’s my theory) so at 11:12pm we headed back out. 11:18pm we pulled up in front of Saba and Savta’s house. 11:20pm and we were back on the road, heading home. How so quickly, you may be wondering… well, Daddy forgot the keys. So we went home and got the keys then drove back to Asher.

Ok, I’m going to shorten this because I am waaaaaay tired and need to get up in two hours to go to the airport but you’re not going to believe what happened…

Daddy decided to try hooking up the television. Suffice it to say, at 12:40am we were still there. I kept dozing off in the recliner as Daddy went back and forth between the box and the TV and fiddled around with the wires. Mommy called at 12:50 to find out where we were. By 1:00am we were Home. Then I realized – ‘shoot, I have things to do at Home!!’ so I started doing them and somehow it was suddenly 1:40am.

Wake up call is in two short hours. By 4:30am we need to be on the road to Ben-Gurion so that we can attend the NBN Welcome Ceremony. I’ll let you know how it goes…

Till Tomorrow.

And remember, Exhaust to the outside and the lint is negligible.

No comments: