Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Welcome New Olim and why I really got up at 3:40am.

3:40am - Mommy yells up the stairs, "Girls are you awake?"

Shoot! I can't believe it's time to get up already. I'm still tired. Oh well, we have got to go. I got dressed in record time (I think it took 2 minutes and 17 seconds.) Then we were off. Ok, not quite. But we should have been or rather we were supposed to be. We didn't actually leave the house until 4:50. Nevertheless, we arrived at the 'old terminal' at 5:20. We got our 'Guest' stickers (to identify us as 'guests' and then proceeded to 'baggage claim' to await the planeload of Olim Chadashim (and of course Saba and Savta!!!)

A quick note - as if it wasn't strange to be in the old terminal. We entered through the arrivals door, walked into baggage claim and waited there by the carousels. It was weird. I can't put my finger on the exact reason, but it felt to do such a familiar thing - backwards.

We found the Preisers, and waited with the rest of the crowd. Finally we were told to go through passport control (backwards) and to go outside and wait. The busses are coming soon, we were informed. So, out we went. At least it was early so it wasn't hot.

Finally, the busses started pulling up. Only problem was, they were pulling up on two different sides of the barricade and we had no idea where to stand. I finally spotted Savta and called to the rest of the gang.

It was such an amazing thing - the meeting. The Preisers (who have been waiting for this day for 15 and a half years.) Us, who had waited for a figurative forever to make Aliyah and ever since doing so have been waiting for Saba and Savta to come and join us. And Saba and Savta. Who are finally where they belong. At Home. In the Holy Land with those who love them.

Of course, there was the whole 'ceremony' with lots of speeches. The Olim were welcomed again and again to the country and were thanked profusely for coming even when the State seems to be in its darkest hour. (I'm not going to comment on the last statement. I just figured I'd tell you what was said in a quick overview. I won't comment, because this is a journal about how I spend my days and NOT a personal diary of all of my political views, feelings and outlooks. Suffice it to say - The Government sucks but the Land is very very good. The Politicians are corrupt but the Land is very very good. The People are daft but the Land remains very very good.)

By 9:00, we were sent out to the 'arrivals' hall. The kids ran wild while Sammy and I checked out the cutie with the amazing eyes (who went to Jerusalem. What a waste of cuteness! Why not Beit Shemesh?! Huh?!? We need more cute guys. My only consolation - In a few short weeks I'll be living in Jerusalem...)

We finally got Saba and Savta into a taxi and underway - then we headed back to the cars and followed suit. At Saba and Savta's house, we ate brunch, watched 'Quest for Camelot' and had a general 'chill session.' It was very nice.

Then Mommy got a call - A family friend who also made Aliyah this morning on the NBN flight, was 'evicted' from her dorm in Yerushalayim, where she was supposed to be staying for the next two weeks. So, we drove into the city to pick her (and all of her stuff) up. Upon arrival, we realized that there was A LOT of stuff. We worried that there might not be enough room in the car but our fears were assuaged when the last piece of luggage was put into the car and there were somehow still three whole seats empty.

On the road again... heading home. Stopped for iced coffee. Got Home and shlepped all of the stuff inside. I honestly believe that the only thing keeping me awake is that sugar/caffeine from the coffee.

Sammy wants to go swimming later tonight. Only problem is that swim isn't until 7:30 and I am afraid that I am going to fall asleep - either before we go or even worse in the pool.

I think I'll write a poem about going swimming and being so tired.

If you don't give you body what it wishes (lots of sleep)
Then you may find yourself sleeping with the fishes (in the deep)

Hmmm, I think I'll go take a nap and work on my prose...

2 comments:

Chava said...

again...you make me smile! :)

Hinda said...

That was a great post, but there was only one thing that stuck in my mind (other than the government sucking and the land being very, very, good)...

ICE COFFEE!!!!!

We are SO going to get one together when I come visit! IY"H!