Thursday, October 06, 2005

Do Chutznikim have 3 days of Rosh Hashana?

The strange thing about today is that it was completely the opposite of yeterday.

Made it to Shul on time. Sammy came 5 minutes after me. She walked in smiling and said "guess what..." I was concentrating intently on my Tefilot so I just stared at her blankly. "Look over there" she said pointing at the Mechitza. "We have a Cohen today" she said with a smile, "and he even combed his hair." "Wow," I thought to myself. "She's losing it." But lo and behold, there he was - a Cohen in our Shul on Rosh Hashana. It was very exciting though I must admit that I had a strong urge to go over and let him know that he was a day late.

As they took the Torah out I doubled over in agony from searing pain in my stomach (again...) so, I decided to go Home and take my medicine (and get a sweatshirt - the A/C was on over-drive.) After 'drugging up,' chasing Mickey and Smooshie out of my room and some 'chilling' (or should I say thawing?) I headed back to Shul. Incidentally, as we walked up to the building, who should be standing outside in meditative contemplation of something or other? none other than Shlomo. I resisted the urge to whack him, laughed to myself because he really had combed his hair, smiled and said something along the lines of "Hey, shana tovah, chag sameach..." and I just kept walking.

Miraculously, I had made it back 'just in time' - the Rabbi was just finishing up his speech and they hadn't started Shofar blowing.

After Shul we headed over to Saba and Savta's for the meal. The walk was quick and the weather was pleasant. The meal was really good (though Savta thought it would be a disaster) and the company was GREAT! For mincha Sammy and I decided to go to shul. We joined Daddy and Saba at 'Rabbi David's Shul' in Sheinfeld. all I can say is WOW - Those Sheinfeld people sure can sing. Between the acoustics of the building and the really nice voices of the congregants - it was a 'mechaye' for the ears. On the way into the bulding we had the express pleasure of seeing a certain person. We ignored him and agreed to say 'hi' after davening - which we ultimately did. We shmoozed with Shani and a friends of theirs (who is in Afikei now - I put in lots of good words for the school!) Sidenote: I can't believe it's been a year since the Sladowski's ate at our house. I mean, it feels like years in some ways and in other ways it seems like it was just last month. Truth of the matter is that we don't really see them at all and we really don't have anything to do with them either.

All I can say is I saw two of my favorite things today - Sapphire Blues and Deep Puppy Dog Browns. Oh yeah, Pancakes galore! Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy pancakes?!?!

In case you were wondering, I did manage to finish all of Sefer Tehillim before Saba got back from Ma'ariv. (So, I'm counting that as finishing the sefer over Chag.)

After Yom-Tov Mommy came to pick us up and we decided that Breakfast tomorrow will be at Saba and Savta's. Something about breakfast for Break Fast and something else about bagels. I'm not exactly sure but I'm sure I will find out tomorrow.

Sammy and I started watching "Madagascar" (a bootlegged copy from Chaim. So illegal according to the law and halacha. Oy! I don't know what to do!?!?) It's really quite a funny movie. Strangely enough though - Julian the 13th, the self-styled king of the lemurs reminded me freakishly of Moshe. Not in a bad way - I mean, I thought that it was pretty funny.

Ok, enough random blabbing for today. More tomorrow...

1 comment:

Hinda said...

So there ARE good things about Sheinfeld, huh?

I want to see Madagascar! Don't give anything away! HOLD BACK THE TEMPTATION!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, LORELAI! Can't wait to see you!