Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Kvetch...

I find it fascinating and intriguing that when I am feeling down - spending some time immersed in my favorite element almost never fails to brighten my mood.

I have always wondered which of the basic elements was my favorite. It is a very difficult decision. For those of you who don't know science and/or aren't into folklore and fantasy - there are 5 basic elements that I am speaking about; Fire, Earth, Water, Air and Spirit. Frankly, I feel that spirit imbues them all - but most place it in its own category. For now spirit can define the indefinable - the 'Heavenly Hosts' and such.

We really do need all five of these to survive. Without fire we would have no light, heat or warmth. Without air we could not breathe and none of our physiological processes would run. Without water not only would we die a painful death from dehydration - but nothing would grow and the world would be a desert. Earth - we live on it and we use it. I'm not sure, but free-floating through space doesn't sound overly conducive to whatever goal we are supposed to be achieving in the big picture - in addition, without the land we would essentially have nothing to eat (I mean 'healthful' stuff, not the chemicals that are engineered by scientists and then stuck on the shelves in the grocery stores.) As for spirit - all I am going to say is that everybody needs Something to believe in.

After much thought, I have concluded that of all of these - water is the one I feel most connected to. Don't get me wrong, I am an obsessive pyromaniac (as all of my friends know), I do breathe (and properly too), Hiking, gardening and 'playing with dirt' is a favorite pastime and I'll stay away from spirit for the obvious reasons (because it's none of your beeswax what I do or do not believe in.) BUT - Water, the cleansing, natural, wet stuff that occupies a goodly portion of the planet's surface is THE one that calls to me.

I have long wondered why and still do - though I found it amusing that it could relate to my 'star sign' which is Cancer (the crab.) Unfortunately my 'Zodiac' book is at Home this week - so I cannot do any reading about the 'Jewish' approach nonetheless, all of the sources that I have checked out seem to point towards the conclusive evidence that as a result of being born at the time of year and at the time of the month that I was - I am 'ruled by the moon and drawn to the water.'

Eerily enough, this sounds just like me. I thrive in the nighttime and I adore the moon in all of her majestic mystery. Secrets and faithfulness (according to my friends - or everyone that I asked anyway - and possibly the reason people feel that they can speak to me.)

Anyway, the point of this post was really just to say that I love water. Swimming, Walking in the rain, Drinking, Splashing in puddles and even doing the dishes when there's no other reason to get my hands wet.

It's cleansing and refreshing.

I love it...

For more information - follow a link and read on or do your own search. They all seem to say the same thing - (Hmm, I wonder why...)
http://astrology.about.com/cs/sunsign/l/blcancer.htm
http://www.horoscopematch.com/horoscope/zodiac/Cancer.php
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/moonlitfire/hfacts.html
http://www.astrology.com.au/12signs/cancer.asp

4 comments:

Sassy Madricha said...

You are so odd!

And btw, on which planet is chocolate a vegetable?

yo' meanma said...

It is a well known fact on all planets (or at least on those that grow chocolate) that chocolate is in fact a veggie!

as for Lori being "odd" thank you I will take that as a compliment :]

Don't worry Sassy we love you :)

~{~~@ said...

I have pleanty of sishwashing to offer you, if you feel the strong need...
Hope you're feeling better...
Today it looked like someone sucked all the Lori out of
my

"deskmate"
Sorry for the extra

e
nters.. it's the only
key my son can reach

!

Miryam said...

*shivers*

I know that, as Jews, we shouldn't put too much stock into these secular horoscopes, but the second one on your list, described me in a way that I wouldn't have been able to word myself. Really creepy.

By the way, for anyone out there reading, "CANCERS RULE!!!" Isn't that right, Lori? ;-)

Love ya!