Friday, April 21, 2006

Pale Peach Roses...

As it is Friday again - I feel the need to post a nostalgic post. I have spoken about where we lived before we made Aliya and changed our lives. A few weeks ago I finally tracked down a number of photos of the house in which we lived. I know, it seems pretty tacky to say I love living in Israel and yet still to spend so much time remembering how nice it was in Merry Ca - but I can't help it. The memories are so strong though with each passing day they grow further and fade more.

We lived on Oxford court for ten years. The house once dark and forbidding became light and filled with laughter. So many good times, my childhood and memories galore.
I suppose the best place to start would be in the place that was the gathering spot for the family. It was the center of the house, without a doubt. With four entrances and always full of delicious smells. We each had our own spot where we would sit when shmoozing, chilling or even brooding. My spot was in the corner, on the far side of the kitchen on the right - yep, you see it? That counter over in the corner - I must have spent hours there over the years. Beneath the spice cabinet and with a view of the whole kitchen. The funny thing to note is how large the kitchen actually was. As the photo shows only half of it.

The next place to go was the room that originally was not meant to be used. The 'Big Room' was aptly named. Once again, only a part of the room is visible in the photo - but it was my favorite part. I spent hours staring out those windows at the backyard.

The yard was spectacularly beautiful in the warm spring rains that turned the forest into a veritable jungle. We used to call it our 'rain-forest.' The only time I can remember it being more beautiful that in the rain was when we would sit in front of the fireplace, the flames burning brightly and roast marshmallows as the snow fell silently outside, piling up against the windows and settling gently on the trees.

Last but certainly not least, the den in the 'back rooms' - this wing of the house was shared by Sammy and Myself. Our bedrooms were back there along with my father's office and Mommy's 'studio' (When she wasn't working in the garage on her 250 pound stone anyway...) My fondest memory from back there is probably the long summer nights when Sammy and I would settle down with hot pretzels and french fries and watch 'Nick at Night' reruns and oldies into the wee hours of the morning.


Well, there you have it. A taste of what it is that I see in my mind's eye when I think back to where we lived and speak of Oxford Court.

I wouldn't move back there for anything. But I think it will always be a place that stays in my heart.

Have a Splendiferous Shabbos everybody!

After all - it only comes once a week.

1 comment:

'Yo Abba said...

What about the Sun Room? There must be a picture of that somewhere. That's the room that I miss the most.