Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Never Oily, Never Dry...

So it makes me kind of sad in a proud sort of way when I see people who are educated and intelligent who have made the choice to move to Israel and in doing so are forced to set-aside their careers and become menial laborors.

Sometimes when I'm feeling depressed and self-pitying and like my life couldn't possibly get any worse I take a look around me and realize that I shouldn't be so selfish cause other people have it a lot worse than me. It's not the prettiest picture but it seems to serve its purpose.

Yesterday I found yet another way to combat bad days. Simply make them worse. How? Pain. Lots of it.

Next time you're having a bad day take a 15 minute break from work, walk down to the local 'beauty spa place' and have your upper-lip waxed and then 'stringed' to get out the 'rest of it'. I'm telling you - it works wonders. Your nose prickles, your eyes tear and you can't cry cause that just seems stupid but when the burning sets in and you're all red you take a look at yourself in the mirror, take a deep breath and say to yourself, "I'm gonna get through this." Then you march back to your office and try not to let all the garbage that was ruining your day in the first place get to you quite so much. And when people try to tell you that you're all red and it looks like you were really sloppy when eating an ice-pop you can just tell them to bugger-off. A miracle. Mamash.

Last night was another sleepless one. The hubby plugged in a bug zapper light, but I don't think it actually did anything more than call more mosquitos to the party. At 1AM I climbed out of bed for the third time of the night and sent an agitated e-mail to my sister-in-law who was wondering why I was so disgruntled. I enclose the -mail for your reading pleasure:

I'm ok. I don't really hate my life. I hate mosquitos. They are draining my life. I haven't slept for the last 2 nights because these stupid mosquitos keep buzzing around and sucking out my life-blood. That wouldn't even bother me so much if they didn't keep biting me on my face. I currently don't own a face I own a lump or mosquito bites. 2 on my forehead, one on my right cheek directly under my eye, one on my left eyelid, one on my lower left cheek and one on the outer rim of my right ear. I am covered in calomine lotion but even that is not helping. I have tried everything from bug zapping lights to lavendar oil and frankly nothing is helping. I'm tired and I can't sleep and it's beyond frustrating.

Hope things are better on your end.

Love (a VERY itchy and somewhat grumpy),
Lori

In the end I wound up marinating myself in Lavendar oil and after that I was finally able to get some rest. Not 100% peaceful, but thankfully the mosquitos couldn't seem to get close enough to me to buzz in my ear because of the smell. (Personally, I almost couldn't stand to be that close to me either.)

It was a late start after all of the mid-night wake-ups and although I DID take a few minutes to stretch (Rik's suggestion in the effort to make me feel better about myself) I was running so late that there was simply no time to walk to work. At least I get to walk home later.

I think I want to make something yummy for supper tonight. Maybe some sort of pasta with a cream sauce. I even have mushrooms at home.

Hmmm, I'm liking where this is going...

No comments: