Friday, November 20, 2009

GP LP NP...

Yay! It's erev-shabbat! Sorry world, I'm just a little bit excited.

Yesterday was a strange Thursday. Zalman is coming down with a cold or something so he skipped some classes under the pretense of feeling under the weather. Of course he felt fine enough to watch a movie (or 2) and to help me shlep home a few kilos of potatoes from the grocery store. (I'm not complaining, I'm just saying...) At the grocery store we met a neighbor who reminded Z that there was a 'boys night out' planned for 9PM at the university pub. By that time Z was feeling better and of course the prospect of a good burger couldn't be ignored. So he went out with the boys and I stayed home and pretended to get ready for Shabbos. I was a good girl and baked 1/2 a recipe of lemon-delight pound cake in my mini-bundt-pan. (The cake came out adorable - in case you were wondering) and in addition to the lemon glaze which gets absorbed into the cake I also drizzled it with a white glaze and topped it with some pretty decorative yellow sugar. I also baked 1/2 a recipe of carrot kugel in two smallish loaf tins. One for the freezer and one to take with us to our neighbor's house for lunch on Shabbat.

This morning I woke up at 7:30 but after mixing up the 'goop' for the matzah balls I decided it was too early to be awake so I went back to sleep for another 45 minutes. (Best nap I've had in ages.) When I got up I baked 3 trays of chocolate-crackle-cookies (that's 60 cookies for the record) I've had the dough in the freezer since Sukkot and decided that the time had come to use it up. Then I cooked the tomato-sauce chicken and roasted the garlic at the same time. The green beans got just a few minutes in the heat and I doctored my chicken soup with fresh carrots, some extra chicken and a sprinkle of seasonings. A few minutes later and the couscous was done too. The matzah balls came out nice and fluffy and we even wound up with some sushi (courtesy of Z - who should really learn that it is a bad idea to 'take over' someone's kitchen while 'someone' is still in the kitchen.)

Tonight Freddie's friend Ora will be joining us for the meal and tomorrow we'll be going down to the Lockerman's for lunch.

My greatest accomplishment today was cleaning the stove-top and scrubbing down the counter. Now it's so clean and shiny! (It's as though it ready for more cooking and baking adventures.)

The neighbors are still drilling and we hope that they will stop for the duration of Shabbat (although there are no guarantees.)

I've got a whole book to read this weekend. I wonder whether I'll actually finish it by Sunday. It's only about 500 pages, but since we'll be out I'm not sure whether I'll have the time. Guess we'll see.

Have a great one!

No comments: