Thursday, November 26, 2009

Leftover Lemon Cake...

This has been a decidedly boring week thus far but I'm sure that things are going to change before Sunday rolls around again.

On Tuesday I left the house. (Sad that it's an accomplishment worthy of note, but it is.) I walked a 3.2 round trip hike to Mega and home again in under an hour (it's impressive because I did my grocery shopping too.)

All I wanted for dinner was a bowl of Bubby's Tomato Soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. However, when I went to the kitchen to prepare dinner I realized that I was 200 grams short of tomato paste and that was for a 1/2 recipe. But I wouldn't give up on soup - instead I made a thick and hearty tomato-based vegetable barley soup. It wasn't exactly the right thing to go with grilled cheese - so I'll have to make the right soup next week - but the soup I made sure did come out deeeeliciously!

When Z got home from school we watched our 'Monday night shows on Tuesday night' and relaxed for a bit.

By the time Wednesday rolled around I was itching to do something fun. I decided that the adventure of the day would involve pasta. Not just any pasta though - homemade pasta. Oh, and I didn't just want fettuccine or spaghetti, no - I wanted ravioli!!! I concocted a filling from cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Then I started on the pasta. At first the recipe didn't seem to be working too well. The dough wouldn't turn into dough and I had to add a lot of water. Then the dough got so extremely dense that I physically couldn't knead it (I didn't feel too bad though - the mixer couldn't handle it either.) I let it rest for 20 minutes as per the instructions and when I came back the gluten had given a sort of elasticity to the dough. It wasn't quite kneadable, but it was a lot easier to work with. Finally after 4 hours in the kitchen; rolling, cutting, filling, sealing and stacking I put half of the raviolis into the fridge for dinner and the other half into the freezer for another day. When Z got home from school we boiled up some water, added the fruits of my labor and a few short minutes later we were enjoying a really delicious dinner - complete with a tomato basil sauce.

This morning we woke up bright and early. Z had to go to school early to work on a group project before class. He also had to pack up his stuff for Shabbos since he won't have time this afternoon. You see, we're catching a 3:10 bus to Tel Aviv and a 4:50 train to Bet Shemesh for Thanksgiving Weekend. I'm pretty sure that the fun we're going to have will make up for the relative boringness of the past week.

How do I know? Well, that's simple. I'm going to get a haircut, Oscar is going to be there and I'm bringing my kitchen-blowtorch so that we can make some really yummy cupcakes!

If you want to see some pictures of my ravioli making adventure click here!

I'll be back with more photos, more stories and more fun after a quick message from our sponsors...

2 comments:

Shoshana said...

Sponsor? Sorry I told you I'm broke- today is a day off so that means no money :( Have fun this shabbos!!!!

Freddie said...

I totally forgot how entertaining your blog is! It gave me something to do while waiting for my class to start instead of studying, but oh well...