Thursday, February 04, 2010

Burgandy Bandana

Good morning world! Oh wait, it's 11:22 already?! When did that happen?

I guess I should start with a quick story about yesterday. I went to the Doctor (nothing serious, I just had to get a form) and while I was there I asked him offhandedly what to do about the problems I have when I eat and my sensitive stomach issues. Rather than suggesting allergy test or a gastro - in a nutshell - he told me that I was overweight, that the nausea caused by eating probably wasn't due to 'what' I was consume but rather 'how much' I consume and printed out a referral for a dietitian. (Nice Dr, huh?) Preliminary work for the dietitian is a blood test (which you need to fast for 14 hours before having) and they're only open from 7:30-9:00 in the morning.

And so...

We woke up at 7:00 this morning and went out to catch an 8:00 bus to 'town' - there was a light sprinkling of hail-balls falling from the sky but luckily one of our friends (with a car) was heading in the same direction and gave us a ride right to our destination. As we walked into the clinic the skies opened. The blood test was a cinch (even though I forgot to bring Fringe with me) but I still really don't like needles.
After the blood test the sky had cleared so Z & I headed down to Yesh. It's a nice 15-20 minute walk from town. Of course we stopped at our favorite little 'natural health-food store' to pick up some provisions for the weekend. Nuts and berries stuff.

As we arrived at Yesh, got a shopping cart and entered the store the skies opened again and a deluge of rain washed over the city. (3 times lucky so far today - not bad.) We did our shopping and as we headed over to the check-out aisles Z noticed a guy from shul on Shabbos. He lives in our neighborhood so we asked him whether he was driving home. He answered affirmatively and said he'd gladly give us a lift.

He had a shopping cart full of groceries and we had a backpack, 2 cloth shopping bags and 2 plastic shopping bags. I wondered briefly whether there would be room in the car. But we're Israeli, we'd make it fit. As we headed out of the store he glanced at our purchases and said with a smile, "I'm not sure whether there's going to be room for everything." I got a tad nervous as he headed across the parking lot but he motioned for us to follow him. Turns out - he drives a bus. He was extremely nice and dropped us off right in front of our building.

Did I mention the rain and hail stopped falling just as we finished paying at the supermarket and didn't start again until we were safely in our apartment? (4 lucky breaks in one day.)

We looked out on the mirpeset as the next wave of rain began to fall and noticed that the hail had accumulated in a layer of slush.
Tonight for dinner I'm making steak and mashed potatos for Z. It's his Hebrew Birthday! Yay! Let the celebration begin.

I also have to cook for shabbos at some point. This will be our first 'quiet weekend' in a month. It should be nice. (Though I wish it would warm up a bit. I'm ready for the spring, can you tell?)

Sunday night is the 'Midnight Superbowl Party' and I'm still trying to decide whether or not to go. It'll be a 25 minute walk at well, midnight - or around then. I feel bad making Z go alone - but I think I want to be sleeping by then. Also, there haven't been many female rsvps - so I feel like I should go just to 'represent' - only thing is, I don't really care about football. I don't even really care about the superbowl commercials. I know, I know - I should be tarred and feathered. Oh well.

In other news I'm on the last leg of the 'painfully-long-project' and hope to be done with it by next Tuesday.

Also good news - the repairs made to the window-frames and ceiling seem to be holding up alright in the face of today's storm.

I am sitting in front of the computer wrapped up in my quilt but I refuse to take off my boots - they are sooooo warm!

Alrighty - back to work...

No comments: