Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Reinforcements

Last night I spent almost 3 hours baking about 80 hamentashen. I haven't baked my very own hamentashen in about 6 years and I figured it would get me into the Purim spirit. I filled them with all sorts of fillings. Strawberry, Cherry, Apricot and Chocolate (chips) - I was super careful not to overfill them and I must have done a good job because there were only 3 cookies out of a double batch of dough that opened in the oven. I was so excited - I felt like I'd succeeded at something monumental. Ok, I'm crazy - I know - but it's a good kind of crazy.

Of course - I only started baking at around 8:30 so by the time I got everything straightened up and got into bed it was after midnight. Suffice it to say I woke up at 5:00 AM and couldn't fall back asleep for about an hour and the next time I opened my eyes it was 8:15AM. Late - again. It wasn't terrible though. I got up and dressed and walked Z halfway to school then I caught a bus into town.

I stopped at Meuhedet and got my blood pressure checked - it was 114/81 - completely normal. Guess I'm less stressed now that I'm on a holiday-hiatus from 'work' on the ridiculously long project. My second stop was at the local library - I checked out 3 books and had a nice conversation with the Russian librarian about my 'new' last name. My third stop was at 'Mega' for a couple of groceries - apples and sugar, cause it's hard to make candied-apples without apples and near impossible to make caramel without sugar. Last stop was the 'dollar store' where I picked up some cellophane and a couple of cute little wicker-type baskets. The bus came after a quick 5 minute wait and that just about sums up my morning outing.

Now it's afternoon already and I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to make some mushroom barley soup for dinner tonight and some fresh dinner rolls to go along with it - but considering Z doesn't come home until somewhere between 8-9PM it's a little too early to start cooking.

Maybe I'll work on the Snoopy hook-rug that I'm doing for Fredso - that would be a good idea. There are still a whole lot of little strings to latch on, even though I'm halfway done with it.

I-pod: check
Latch Hook: check
Teddy Bear: check
Ok - we're clear for take-off...

No comments: