Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lack of Motion...

It's been a few days but I've been busy. Well, sorta. More like 'out of it' and unable to put together my thoughts.

On Wednesday I didn't do much of anything. Come to think of it, I can't even remember what I did. I remember helping Z with his 'model' until quite late at night. There were some issues with the glue gun and a general glue shortage not to mention that things were turned the wrong way for a while and just wouldn't stay put.

On Thursday I traveled into Jerusalem to meet up with Feige. Unfortunately the day didn't go quite as we had planned. We did spend the entire afternoon together however, we never made it out to lunch and I didn't get to run all of the errands that I'd been saving up. I caught the 8:30 PM express-bus home and the ride (mercifully) only took 1 hour 10 minutes.

As far as Shabbos - we ended up canceling our plans on Friday morning. The idea of 3.5 hours on buses was simply too much to handle. So at 9 AM we ran to the grocery store to buy everything that we needed for Shabbos.

Thankfully the store had what we needed (and had even just gotten in a fresh meat shipment) so we paid and headed home to start preparing everything.

As you (may or may not) know, Z and I have been watching a show called 'Good Eats' hosted by Alton Brown. In an episode that we watched recently we learned how to cut up a whole chicken. Gravity is a cook's best friend and popping the joints were what I got out of it. Z on the other hand wanted to do the actual slicing. So, I let him cut the whole bird up. He actually did a pretty good job.

The carcass, neck and wings went into chicken soup, along with some fresh dill and parsley from our garden. I cooked up some matzah balls, roasted some garlic, marinated and broiled a leg&thigh of zaatar chicken, made a bag of couscous and roasted some root vegetables.

For Shabbos lunch I pulled together a smallish potato gratin (Between the layers I sprinkled kosher salt, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, and a whole lotta sautéed mushrooms and onions.) I even managed to put the right amount of milk - so that there was enough to cook the potatoes but not so much that they'd still be swimming in the liquid when I wanted to heat it up on Shabbos. Along with the gratin we had a green salad (Bulgarian cheese optional) and 1/2 of a whole-wheat vegetable braid (leftover from dinner on Wednesday night.)

Shabbos passed relatively quickly. I won Rummikub Friday night (well, we both won, but I won first.) I read 3 out of 4 books in the Earthsea Quartet. We drank a whole lotta iced tea (about 5 liters) and somehow ate 16 Oatmeal Craisin Cookies.

Motzei Shabbat we watched a strange movie, I painted my nails and we killed the mosquitoes that had somehow gotten in even though I had closed all doors and windows before the sun went down.

Now it's Sunday morning. Bright and early (at around 6:45) banging began on the neighbors 'backyard project' - they're 'working on' their garden - tiled patio, plants and whatnot - but it's a little thoughtless of them to allow the workers to start banging so darn early. On second thought - I wonder whether the construction is even legal. Considering there's a 'settlement freeze' and whatnot and that the army had nothing better to do than rip out a similar structure in Efrat last week.

Tomorrow we're supposed to head to Bet Shemesh for Yom Haazmaut. I'm hoping the ride is quick and painless.

In honor of tomorrow I'm going to bake today. (Doesn't it seem like I'm always looking for an excuse to bake?) I'll definitely be going with a blue and white theme - just have to decide whether to stick to sprinkles or to go with food coloring. We'll see.

At the moment I'm contemplating breakfast. I'm a little torn between English Muffins and Bagels. Both make delicious breakfast foods - so it's a really tough call.

I'll go talk it over with Toffee Bear. He's a good listener - even early in the morning.

No comments: