Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pina Colada in a Pint Glass...

Shavua tov readers! That was a really great Shabbos. I know I kvetched a lot about actually planning and preparing it - but it really turned out wonderfully.

Our company was 2 awesome couples. Z is friends with the guys - and had been trying to get them to come for a Shabbos for ages - but it wasn't until they both got engaged that we managed to book them for a weekend.

The atmosphere was relaxed and fun all at the same time. So I was pretty thrilled.

Menu - (cause I need to document it somewhere for future reference):

I made 3 medium loaves out of 1/2 a batch of Challah. (1 cup WW & 4.5 cups bread flour)

Friday Night: chumus, roasted garlic, pickles, chumus (hehe, whoops) olives, non-chicken soup with matzah balls, sesame chicken, white rice, peas, tivol with mushrooms on a bed of onions (for the vegetarian).

Shabbos Lunch: chumus, pickles, olives, build-a-salad (lettuce, craisins, candied pecans, dried candied pineapple), couscous salad, sun-dried tomato pasta salad, chickpea salad, eggplant parmigiana, tomato-onion quiche.

Seudah Shlishit: leftover salads from lunch, chumus, potato blintzes, watermelon

Desserts: oatmeal craisin white chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies, apple streusel bars, ice cream (cookies-n-cream)

Overall I'd say the weekend was a success and I'd be happy to host the same group again. (Even if they were a bit competitive when it came to settling Catan.)

Did I mention that I got a really great 'rest' in this afternoon? I just snuck into my room and curled up in a puddle of sunshine to read my book and snooze for a while.

Now for a whole new week - stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

double chumus on Friday night, must have been an awesome meal!
Glad you had fun : )
Love, yo' meanma

Judith said...

ahem!! NON-chicken soup? What were the non-non-ingredients?? (I.e., the actual ones!!)

Also - tomoto onion quiche was not a link - can you send me one (or the highlights of the recipe?)

You see - your recipe watcher is on duty!! : )

Lorelai said...

Meanma - we had LOTS of fun, don't you love double chumus? ;)

Judy - non-chicken soup is my mom's invention. The trick is using a whole lotta orange veggies, simmering for a looong time and leaving the veggies whole so that you get a nicely flavored clear stock. The veggies we usually use are: onions, carrots, sweet potato, pupmkin/squash, white potato (well - I do anyway), zucchini and don't forget dill&parsley for the ultimate chicken-soup mockery. I usually season with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, dash of hot paprika (and if I've overdone the paprika - then a teensy bit of tumeric to make the color 'right')

As for the quiche - I'm writing it as a note on FB. I'm pretty sure a few other people also asked for it... :)