Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spoonfuls of Sugar...

Sorry for that less than cheerful post earlier - sometimes I just need to vent (and honestly, what else is this teeny virtual corner of the blogosphere here for?)

Today didn't actually end up being as bad as I over-dramatized it to be this afternoon. After a nice 2.25 km walk to the grocery store I baked apple pie bars and sugar cookies.

The sugar cookie recipe was a new one - but it wasn't the recipe I was excited about - it was the brilliant concept. Slice & bake cookies with pretty colored sugar! Why haven't I thought of this before?! Perfect to customize cookies without a tons of extra work. Plus because they're slice & bake you can just freeze the logs of dough and at any time - presto - you've got cookies! Easy peasy, really yummy and really pretty!

Don't tell anybody that I made my very own colored sugar. (Actually I made 2 colors - because I chilled the dough in 2 logs.) So - I put about 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in a plastic baggie, then squirted in 2 or 3 drops of liquid food-coloring and mushed up the bag until the color was all soaked up by the sugar granules.
Fringe helped me with the cookies today. He was a super good helper.
Rolling chilled logs of dough was really simple and I stuck them back in the fridge again until I was ready to slice & bake.
Here they are - all sliced...
And here they are again - all baked!
Next time I need to make a fancy treat to take somewhere or give to someone - these are what I'll be making.
Tomorrow is Friday - Shabbos prep and all...

Wish me luck!

No comments: