Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bisbols

Another 6:30 morning. Blech - I am really not enjoying them. Actually - I'm just not enjoying having Z commute to Jeru. Last night the 6:30pm bus to Ariel never showed up - so he had to wait around for the 7:15 bus (which only showed up at 7:30.) So yesterday was a 14 hour lonely-day for me. On a nice note - I was a very very nice wife and I inaugurated our wok last night. I cooked up some awesome chicken fried rice for dinner.
One advantage to waking up ridiculously early is feeling like you have a lot of time ahead of you - oh wait... Anyway, I started cooking for Shabbos as early as possible. (That way maybe Z and I can do something fun tomorrow morning.) I've also found it is best to have the oven on as little as possible in the afternoons - when the temperature soars to the 90's anyway...
I took chicken soup and chicken out of the freezer to defrost, I baked carrot kugel (cause I know the Dibble eats it), I made 1/2 a batch of challah - which got me 4 medium loaves and I baked these incredible cookies.

I bought the cherries for these little jewels a while back but never got around to finding a recipe or making the cookies. Yesterday I decided - I need something special for dessert - since it's a special occasion - so I tracked down a recipe. I debated drizzling them with chocolate - and decided that it was worth the extra effort. I sure am glad that I did.

They're not exactly what I wanted but they're still darn tasty - and pretty too.
Cherry-Bakery-Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp almond extract (I used a tsp. of vanilla extract instead...)
2 - 2 1/2 cups flour
halved maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter in large bowl. Gradually beat in sugar until fluffy. beat in egg and almond extract. gradually blend in flour. Chill dough for 30 mins for ease in handling. Roll small spoonfuls of dough into little balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets ( I use parchment paper on the cookie sheets) Place half cherry, cut side down, in middle of each cookie and press down slightly. Bake 8-9 mins or just until bottoms are golden. Remove and place on racks to cool.

I also took a walk to the sketchy makolet and picked up some milk. Now I can make the mini-quiches - don't tell anybody but the crust is 1/2-whole-wheat. Heehee, I'm so sneaky.

I don't really have too much left to do today. I just want to get the quiches and linguine salad done. Maybe I'll make the other desserts (I can't tell you what they are cause it's a surprise.) Tonight when the chicken is defrosted I'll put it into a baking dish and let it marinate overnight. Then tomorrow I just have to pop the garlic, peas, roasted veggies and chicken into the oven - and make couscous. Ta-da - Shabbos is ready! Woohooooo!

I guess now I can go work on that book layout while I wait for some more 'neverending project' work to come in. Then I can read some more - I'm too lazy to wait for one of my summer-shows to come back from hiatus and since it's based on a book-series I'm just going to read the series - then I won't have to watch the show any more. It seems brilliant to me. I just wish I could curl up with the books in bed instead of sitting in front of the computer. Ah well. Someday.

No comments: