Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mind-Benders

Moadim L'simcha everybody!

I love sukkot! The whole festival just makes me smile. The sukkah, the decorations, the ridiculous notion that spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice are 'seasonal' for this time of year...

Anywho - I suppose the only thing I miss about sukkot in the good ol' USofA is the autumn weather. For some strange reason I'm highly nostalgic when it comes to the colors, smells and general feelings of fall. I miss honest to goodness 'sweatshirt weather' - when a coat was too warm and a shirt was too cold - but a comfy sweater or a favorite sweatshirt was just the thing to slip into in order to stay toasty and completely comfortable.

That's what was floating through my mind as I donned a thin summery blouse to wear to dinner last night. We had a nice quick and quiet meal - carrot soup, saucepot meatballs, twirly pastas and peas.

Today the weather inside hovered at around 83 degrees and it was even hotter out in the schach-made shade of the temporary dwelling. Our neighbors from across the hall joined us for the meal. There was way too much food - turns out we're all not overly 'big' eaters. Nonetheless - leftovers won't be going to waste - they're already in the freezer. We feasted on; tomato onion quiche, challah kugel and vegetable lasagna which I made and they brought over flame-roasted chatzilim with techina and a dish of spiced soya.

Desserts included; Rum & Spice Cookies, Oatmeal Craisin Cookies and they brought over a chocolate chip cake too.

After lunch we played a game of Rummikub and then the guys dueled it out over the Quarto board. Then it was nap-time and reading time.

The afternoon went by pretty quickly and before I knew it the time had come for havdalah and then mad-prep for Shabbos began.

I took all the meat, chicken and soup out of the freezer and forced Z to wash the dishes from lunch and make his super-delicious potato kugel.

Once everything defrosts I can get to work - though I'm not sure whether that will actually be tonight or not...

No comments: