Friday, October 29, 2010

Raindrops & Roses

Where did Thursday go? Ah yes, I remember. I woke up early and was scrubbing toilets and bathroom sinks before 9. (Lovely, huh?) By 10 I was baking half a batch of challah - I decided to shape 6 free-form mini-loaves. I also baked a batch of blondies and the potato gratin for Shabbos lunch.

Speaking of lunch - Z has a 3 hour break on Thursdays so he came Home and I made a pie of pizza for lunch. It was topped with gilboa cheese and a sprinkling of Parmesan. We ate it while watching (the worst episode ever of) Glee.

Dinner was spaghetti (ok, so technically spiral pastas) and meatballs for Z. 'The Freddie Couple' came over at a little before 8pm - but they brought their own eggs/bread & cream cheese for dinner. We worked on the invitation for about 2 hours and once it was as good as it was going to get they drove off into the night.

By 11pm my bed was calling to me but by the time I'd finished brushing my teeth and snuggled under the covers I just couldn't fall asleep. I managed to drift off until the gale-force winds whistling in through all of the windows woke me. Somewhere in the vicinity of 2am I wandered around shutting all of the windows. I was rewarded for my efforts when a little while while later I heard the splattering of big fat raindrops on the glass. At around 5am I fell asleep again but that only lasted until 7:30 when I popped out of bed.

Z & I left the house at a little after 9 this morning and ran some errands. First we stopped to check the mailbox - good thing we did because there was a 'package pick-up slip' waiting for us. So we went into town and stopped at the post office (it was a super-fun package from Aunt Sab! She sent all sorts of awesome Dr. Seuss stuff! A pin for my bag, stickers and the coolest magnets of Seuss characters which are now decorating my fridge!), the 'health-food' store (or is it just a 'natural foods' store?) and picked up flowers. Then we hopped over to Yesh to get some frozen peas (cause Shabbos just isn't Shabbos without 2 Tablespoons of peas with dinner.) On the way back into Ariel we stopped off in the industrial area to buy some chumus from a new(ish) felafel joint called Abu Dushi - 15 shekels gets you a nice sized container of the stuff that we've been hearing rave reviews about.

The most exciting part of the morning was the rain. It was only drizzling on the way into town but by the time we were ready to head to Yesh it was really coming down. So, we sat in the parking lot and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to work my windshield wipers. I think I've officially figured out the entire 'wiper-wand' - rear, front, wash 'em, wipe 'em... I'm good to go now. The only part of the rain that wasn't exciting had been my inane decision to wear my sheitel on our trip into town. Cause, come on - it's nice to get dressed-pretty every once in a while! Anywho - it frizzed from the humidity then the rain actually helped it and finally the wind blew in and made a mess of everything. Ah well. It was fun anyway!

Back at Home I made a delicious lunch for Z & me. We had fresh 'oven-fried' shnitzels while we watched The Big Bang Theory.

Now it's 2:30 and Z is sweeping/washing the floor. The food is all prepped and ready to go. Chicken soup and matzah balls just need to be brought to a boil, the garlic and Savta's roasted chicken need to be popped into the oven an hour before candle-lighting, the couscous and peas are ready and waiting to go onto the plata.

All that's left to do is set-up the plata and boil the urn. I'm guessing we'll want tea or hot chocolate since it looks like we're in for a chilly and hopefully rainy weekend.

Have a wonderful one!

No comments: