Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Semolina & Such

Ever wake up in the morning and just have a feeling about how the day is going to turn out? Well, I do and it actually happens a lot. Wanna know the spooky thing? It's usually spot-on! Ok, maybe it's self-fulfilling prophecy - what can I say? This morning I woke up and knew that I would try something new and productive today. At first I thought it might actually involve doing the work that I've got on my 'to-do' pile. Turns out it was a lot more fun than that. Unbelievably enough I only watched 1 tv-show today - as in 1 episode of 1 tv-show! Can you believe my will-power?
Alright - truth is I undertook a bunch of time-consuming activities instead of watching television. The first thing I did was experiment with meringues. I had 6 egg whites in my freezer and I decided that the time had come to use them up. I spent about 15 minutes researching recipes then wandered into the kitchen and figured I'd come up with one on my own. 3 egg whites, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup superfine sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract later - I was piping meringues onto a baking sheet. Lo and behold - 2 hours later I propped open the oven door to let them finish drying. Crisp, sweet and vanilla-y. Delicious if I do say so myself!
The other time consuming project that I undertook today was of the bread-making variety. I'm on a 'clear out the freezer' kick and since there is soup in the freezer I decided that we'd be having soup for dinner. Of course, since I wasn't putting any effort into the soup I decided that fresh bread would be the right way to go. Not just any bread though, multi-purpose bread. Thus I became enthralled with the idea of bread-bowls. I looked through a whole batch of recipes and finally decided to try the one from Girl Versus Dough. (It called to me because she specifically mentioned that they held up to 2nd helpings of soup!)
I was a little nervous at first because they were kind of flat-ish looking when I took them out of the oven (I might have over-risen them a tad in the 2nd rise - though looking at the original recipe I'm not so sure) but I refused to be outdone by bread. So I cut off their tops, scooped out their innards and filled them to the brim with carrot soup.

The bowls were a bit small so they only held about a cup of soup - but the crust was thick and sturdy and held up wonderfully for second-helpings.
The trick is in allowing the crust to develop. It takes a bit of time - but is totally worth the wait.

As for objective taste-testers and their opinions -
The first thing Z said was, "this bread is delicious" the next thing he said was, "I've got to get seconds" the last thing I saw was him devouring the bowl.

No comments: