Thursday, December 23, 2010

The One-Eyed Man is King

Verily insanity doth continue...

Yesterday I baked the following; 1 batch (white flour) oatmeal rolls, 1 batch (1/2 whole wheat) oatmeal rolls, 1 batch sugar cookies with bling (you know - the pretty ones with colored sugar on the edges - I made purple and teal.)

Not too much else happened yesterday - cooked/baked, washed dishes, cooked/baked, washed dishes - it's a vicious cycle. I went to sleep at around 11:30. Z didn't get into bed until 4am. (Have I ever mentioned that I hate architecture school? Ok. Just making sure.)

I was out of bed by 8 this morning. Probably would've been up earlier if I hadn't been woken up at 4am and then unable to fall asleep for over an hour.

First I baked a batch of apricot-jam crumble bars. The next order of business was caramel swirled brownies. (I must admit, I cheated on the brownies. I had some store-bought soft-caramel-candies - so I popped them in the microwave for 10 seconds, flattened them with a rolling pin and layered them with the brownie batter.) I also made 2 batches of caramel popcorn - according to Z it came out perfectly. (I'm hoping he's right - cause it's going to a lot of people and places.) The last thing on my list was a fructozoid-version of brownies for the fructose-mal-absorbant among us (we've got to count for something - there are 3 of us in the family.)

Aside from washing dishes - I did 3 loads of laundry (washed, folded and put away - thank you very much), I also tried to straighten up the house a bit and packed for Shabbos.

Although our basil suffered a terrible stroke (when winter decided to show up for 2 days a couple of weeks ago) we had a cutting 'sprouting' on the kitchen counter. I'm pleased to announce that it has finally popped out some roots. They're getting quite long and I do believe we'll be able to plant it soon. I've taken a cutting of our 'mystery herb' and am attempting to sprout that as well - since it suffered most terribly at the hands of 'fake winter' and doesn't seem to be coming back to life.

This morning the Danzigers and Grandpa Jordan arrived in The Holy Land. They're in The Sun House and we'll be heading out on the very early side tomorrow morning to try and catch a quick breakfast with them before they head down to Eilat for the weekend.

I think it's funny that I've known Z for 5 years, we've been married for 2 years and 10 months of those 5 years and that he hadn't met any of the American cousins until this past summer. Yet Freddie (who has only known Mr Freddie since June - gets to introduce him to cousins tonight at a big family dinner.) We'd be there too - if it weren't for stupid architecture school. Yeah - I hate school. Who in their right minds makes classes until 9pm - 2 nights a week?!?!!? Stupid stupid stupid.

Ok - I'm going to go clean some more so that this place doesn't get left looking like a complete disaster area. Cause that would just be depressing.

I don't have patience to be away for 2 shabbatot in a row.


No wonder I ate ice cream for breakfast and potato chips for lunch...

No comments: