Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Leroys House

It was chilly this morning but I got out of bed at 8:30ish. By 9:00 Phil & I were bored and antsy so we decided that after nice hot showers that we would don our winter-gear and go into town to stroll around. (First I shaped 2 (enormous) ring-loaves of no-knead bread and put them up to rise.) Turns out we really didn't need our winter-gear, but a portable parking spot would've been nice. I'm still not sure why there were so many cars in the parking lot. We finally found a spot all the way all the way all the way at the very very very end behind the kupat-cholim building.

We had a fun adventure in the 'spice & grain' store. Nuts, peppercorns, potato starch, barley, cane sugar... All the good stuff. Then we wandered all the way down to the 'pool side' of the shopping-area. On our way we passed a gumball machine and a little machine with toys in it. Phil decided that it would be a wonderful idea to buy a bouncy-ball for Z. 1 shekel went into the machine and 1 bright yellow bouncy ball came out. We drew 2 eyes and a big smiley on it and named him George. Z seems to like him very much (even though he almost lost him within the first 30 seconds of receiving him.)

Back at Home we cooked up a pot of mushroom barley soup (first we sauteed the onions in BIG chunks and then removed them before adding the mushrooms - so that the oil got a bit of onion-flavored goodness.) The soup turned out pretty good.

Z's friend Yishai stopped by on his way through the city and Sara came on over after mastering her physiology-final! Everyone arrived at the same time and that was 'lunch time' so soup and bread made the perfect meal. (With leftover truffles & cinnamon swirl cake for dessert.)

Sara & I ran out to the 'Industrial Area' to pick up a 'thank you' present for her super-awesome study-buddy and then I dropped her off at caravan-town to deliver the gift.

Back at Home, Phil had finished studying a chapter so we decided to make fructose-friendly cinnamon buns. Unfortunately halfway though mixing up the dough we realized that I didn't have any guar-gum (a super-duper-thickening-agent) so we kind of went 'off-recipe' and tried to make a cinnamon-cake instead. The result smelled delicious but let's just say I don't think we'll be making it again. Ever.

By the time we'd tasted the cake and I finished washing up just about all of the dishes it was time to take Phil to the bus. I drove her down the mountain (and a good thing I did cause it started raining as I dropped her off at the bus-stop.) Thankfully the bus came just 2 minutes later and she sent me an SMS to let me know that she was the first one to board.

Now it's 6:30pm (though it feels like 2am) and the apartment is relatively straightened up. So - I'm thinking that it might be a good time to put on pajamas and watch an episode or two of some tv show or another.

Tomorrow is another day - and I think tomorrow night we might be heading out to The Sun House for the weekend. Z really wants to go to 'Mishmar' at his old yeshiva and maybe I'll get a haircut and go to book-club (if there's a meeting anyway) since I actually read the book that they're supposed to be discussing.

First I've got to do all the laundry and clean this place up properly.

You know you love me...

No comments: