Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Unrelated to Elephants = Irrelephant...

Though winter came late (and barely) this year - the cold has definitely seeped into my bones. I'm officially ready for spring - I don't mind the rain but I do mind the cold. (And for all you Americans who are going to regale me with your experiences of 'really cold' winters - when it's 50F INSIDE your home with 2 heaters on full-blast THEN you have a right to complain. Your houses are made of wood - not of stone!)

This morning I took a lukewarm shower (even though the dud was on for 45 minutes) then Z & I went out to Yesh to pick up some stuff. My awesome NJ cousins got the cutest little wallet for me and I've been using it a lot. The problem is that I still randomly put things into my old wallet (which is still in my purse) - so when I left my purse at Home and only took the new cool wallet I forgot the Yesh coupon at Home - which was kind of annoying.

On a funny note - About 6 weeks ago somebody parked their car in our parking spot. We were patient and figured that maybe there was an emergency or something but the car didn't move for about a week so we got slightly annoyed (considering the parking spot is part of our rent) so we left a note on their windshield. They got the note, crumpled it into a ball, threw it in the trash and left their car in our spot. It's been a month since we left them the note and the car was still parked (badly) in our spot. (They parked at such a horrible angle that the spots on either side were compromised. (Essentially they were taking up 3 spots in the lot.) Anyway - when Z & I returned from our shopping spree we backed into one of the spots at the end of the lot. We were shmoozing in the car (because it was warm and toasty) when we noticed a woman getting into the badly-parked car. She drove off so I turned our car back on and parked in our spot. I felt very devious and slightly crazy - but in a justified and amused kind of way.

When we got Home I decided to make myself a nice breakfast. It's been a few months so I figured I deserved something more than a bowl of rice. I finally got Phil's 'fructose-friendly microwave bread' recipe - so I figured I'd give it a try.

I got so excited about the project that I completely forgot to take pictures of the 'pre-nuke' (but that's alright, the batter was kind of gross looking anyway.) Truth be told - it didn't look too great when it came out of the microwave either...
It popped right out of the bowl and I took a bite before slicing it in half horizontally. A couple of strips of mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of Parmesan then I popped it into the sandwich maker for a few moments.

I think I'll be making it again (and again and again.) The flavor needs a bit of tweaking, and I think I'll experiment with other flours (I used 1/2 barley & 1/2 oat this time.) It would be really good toasted with an egg on it. It would also go very nicely with peanut butter & chocolate chips. (No comment on that last flavor combo - considering the dietary restrictions - I'll take what I can get.)
Fructose Friendly Microwave Bread

1 Egg (beaten)
2 Tbsp butter/margarine (melted)
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cane sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp flour (2 oat + 2 barley OR 2 oat + 1 barley + 1 almond)

Combine dry ingredients in bowl and set aside. Melt margarine in a microwave safe bowl. Let the margarine cool a bit (so that the egg doesn't cook when added to it) and then stir the egg and margarine together. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine. Microwave the batter (on high) for 80 seconds. Using a spatula, loosen the edges of the bread and turn out onto a plate. Slice/top/eat.

The only thing that I think is a crying shame is that in a 'grilled cheese' state this bread would be absolutely amazing dipped into tomato soup or sauce. Gosh I miss tomatoes.

No comments: