Friday, March 11, 2011

Don't Something, Something Don't.

Wednesday passed quickly, quietly and rain-ily(?) I didn't do much of anything. Z half slept through his first class and by the time he was ready to leave he got an SMS saying that his 2nd class was cancelled. We called it a 'rain-day' and he just stayed Home.
The temperature has gone way way down - our concrete walls are radiating 40 degree weather in at us - so unless we sit in the middle of the room next to the heater it's basically just as bad as sitting outside. For that reason we layered up on sweaters, put the heater on high in the office and locked ourselves in there. We should get a port-a-potty so we don't have to leave the room every once in a while. It's just too cold to venture out there. Seems like such a waste to pay rent on a 3 bedroom apartment when we only use 1/3 of the space for the duration of the winter.
I was brave for a while though. I trekked to the kitchen and shaped my Lemon Chiffon Truffles. Once they had chilled (which didn't take very long for some odd reason) I melted some dark chocolate and gave them a double coating. It's really not too hard if you use the right chocolate and add a little canola oil to it. It still requires patience and time - but I figured out the trick - the truffles need to be chilled but not frozen. That way the chocolate doesn't set-up before you can get them off of the fork that you're using to dip them with.
Thursday was equally as boring but I was slightly more productive. I put my chicken soup up to cook, made rice and baked 3 desserts. FF cookies for myself, cookie brittle for Z and caramel walnut brownies - because I had extra chocolate left over from dipping the truffles. I'm not sure how the brownies will taste - since I totally messed around with the recipe - but it's chocolate, sugar and caramel so I mean, how bad could it be?
I made sure that all of the dishes were washed before going to sleep - to save me time and frustration this morning. Then the tris-strap in our bedroom snapped - so I knew I'd better set an alarm or there was a risk of waking up super-late on a Friday morning.
Even with the trisim down I woke up at 6:30. It was cold and I had no interest in getting up. At 7:30 I woke up again. I tried to fall back asleep for 10 minutes, but it just wasn't working. Instead I got out of bed and started working. I turned on the dud, prepped the chicken in a baking dish, folded a load of laundry that sat in the dryer all week, put a load of laundry into the washer, rinsed the sushi rice and set it up to soak, switched the laundry and put in a 2nd load after half-stripping my bed.
There's still laundry to do. I really have to go out to town to pick up the salatim and a shabbos clock for the second heater - we're definitely going to need it this weekend. Especially because we're having the Lockermans over for dinner tonight. But first a nice hot shower - then the insanity can begin.

Have a wonderful weekend and a Shabbat Shalom!

No comments: