Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gowron the Great!

I left you last with a cliff-hanger - the car battery was dead and Shabbos was coming...

Thankfully the fix-it-guy showed up 2.5 hours after calling in the problem. The battery was dead, but he was able to switch it 'on the spot' - so we were on our way to The Sun House only half-an-hour later than we had planned on leaving.

Shabbos was a lot of fun! There were a zillion different fructose friendly desserts - including hamentashen (filled with brownie batter and peanut butter cookie dough - since we can't have jams.) Friday night was relaxed and amusing and Shabbos lunch was equally as entertaining - partly because the Dibble sat at his own table.
We played a lot of games of 'Settlers' and it was fun until it wasn't fun anymore. (The fun kind of ran out after playing 3 games straight during which only 12's, 2's and 11's were rolled. Talk about statistical anomalies.)
Shabbos ended and after havdalah everybody scrambled to find their costumes. I was a bubble-gum pink crayon and Z dressed up as 'Mr. Polly' - which was juuust fine because Daddy dressed up as a Hawaiin beach-bum type dude. Mean'ma was a purple crayon, Soldier-boy was a green crayon, Drummer-boy was a scary scary black-masked man (he switched to white for the day) and the Dibble was a spotted cow. (Z switched to a royal blue crayon costume for the day.)
We caught the early minyan and megila reading this morning. Then we delivered our shalach manot around The Sun House. Finally we got on the road (which was quite crowded considering everybody should've been partying.) We made it Home quickly and safely and wondered whether the overcast sky was portending rain. It was 1:20 and we had to go to the Seudah at 3.
The first thing I did when we walked into the house (after washing my hands) was juice an orange. I got 1/4 cup of juice out of it which meant that I could make a batch of hamentashen. So, I put together a batch of dough and stuck it into the fridge to chill. In the meantime I put the p'titim up to cook. I rolled out a chunk of dough and shaped 1 tray of hamentashen which I had time to bake right before we had to leave the house. Z was quite happy that he finally got a 'real' homemade hamentash on Purim. We packed up the kugels, p'titim, shalach manot, and everything else and made our way down to the other side of town.
The seudah was quite well attended. There were about a dozen of us there. Good company and lots of alcohol - definitely a good party. Truth be told everyone drank very responsibly and it was about having a good time and not all about getting completely sloshed - which I was quite happy about. The most exciting part of the meal (after the Turchicken - which was the main course of the meal - a whole turkey stuffed with a whole chicken with 'stuffing' layered between them. The whole shebang was cooked to perfection - with the help of a trusty meat-thermometer.) Anywho - as I was saying - the best part of the meal was dessert. Chocolate shot-glasses filled with 96% alcohol which was set aflame so that marshmellows could be roasted and strawberries could be dipped in the melted chocolate. Pretty decadent if you ask me - but also a whole lot of fun!
We helped straighten up after just about everybody had left and as we walked out to the car we got rained on. We offered a lift to the other 'last guest to leave' and dropped him off at Home so that he didn't have to walk in the rain.

Back at Home and trying to decide what to do tomorrow. Purim really isn't my favorite of holidays - so I'm not sure whether I really want to go into Jeru tomorrow and have a second day of it. I've still got more hamentashen to make - I'll send them to school with Z on Tuesday - I'm sure his classmates won't mind.

Shushan Purim Sameach everybody!

Here's a recipe for some hamentashen of your very own:
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Cream margarine & sugar. Add egg, orange juice and vanilla - mix. Add flour, baking soda and salt - mix until everything is combined. Roll the dough out relatively thinly and using a glass or a round cookie-cutter cut circles of dough out. Put a bit of jam or some chocolate chips in the center of the cirle then pinch the sides (sealing well) to form a triangle. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes (you've got to get them out of the oven just as they start to think about browning at the edges - it's kinda just guesswork)

- I like to chill the dough to make it easier to work with.
- If you want the edges to stay closed don't 'over-fill' seriously, there should be just a little filling and you should think to yourself - "that's so little filling" - but really it should be enough.

I can't say how many cookies this recipe makes. Partially because I made a double batch of dough and partly because we ate so many as they came out of the oven that it wouldn't be accurate in the least bit. Also it depends on the size cookie cutter you use to make the circles - I used a relatively standard drinking glass.

(Recipe Source: Madrichot of Afikei Torah '03-'04)

No comments: