Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Javier Carmichael...

I slept like a log last night. At 7:15, Z's alarm went off and then at 8:00 I got out of bed. By 8:45 I had concocted an almond-flour pancake batter (made fructose friendly by substituting 3.5 Tbsp of cane sugar in place of agave syrup) and was making Tablespoon-sized pancakes for breakfast. (It's funny how easy it is to stick to a resolution for 1 day after making it. The question is really how long I can keep it up for.) The pancakes tasted 'ok' - I liked them better than 100% oat-flour pancakes - but they're still not great. It might be because the almond-flour is very 'gritty' in texture - but that's because my food-processor isn't really all that great for making things 'superfine'.
Z left for class at 8:50 - because the first class on Wednesdays this semester is taught by a crazy woman who won't let anybody in late.

20 minutes after I said goodbye to him I heard a noise at the front door. I heard a key, the lock turning and the door opening.

"Did you forget something?" I asked.

"Yeah, I forgot that we don't have any school today." was his reply.

Remember how the school messed up the vacation between semesters and they had off 2 random days last week? Well - today is the 'third day' of their 'between-semester break' - a random Wednesday smack-dab in the middle of their second semester. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

After watching the latest episode of a pointless tv show I made my way back to the kitchen.

I've been meaning to make myself some fructose-friendly 'thin mints' for a while now. You know - the 'girl scout cookies' that I recall being quite tasty - or maybe it's all in my imagination. Anyway - a chocolate mint cookie with a chocolate coating really couldn't taste bad - could it? Obviously I tweaked the recipe (due to availability of ingredients and diet constraints.) I used about 1/2 cup of oat flour, 1/2 cup barley flour and another 1/4 cup of slivered-almonds (in place of almond flour - since I was making it all in the food processor anyway.) I've never seen a cookie dough that looked quite as much like an enormously long log of 'poo' before. Still - I'm hopeful that the taste will be worthwhile and that once they're little discs of cookie coated with chocolate that they'll look slightly more appetizing.

I've got almonds sitting on a tray and waiting to be roasted in the oven. I'm trying all sorts of new fun stuff today. I'm actually really excited about this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Almond Butter. The recipe is completely fructose-friendly from the get-go and looks incredible. I'm a little too excited to eat it with ice cream or on top of oat-flour pancakes. I'm just hoping that my food processor is up to the task.

My 2 fears for today are developing a nut allergy and burning out the motor in my food processor.

When I compose my post throughout the day it gets kind of choppy.

I successfully 'processed' my very own, very first, almond nut butter. It's grainy because my Kenwood isn't really a super-deluxe model, but it's pretty good. I'm waiting for it to cool a bitand then I'll stir in some small chocolate chunks. I'm pretty sure it'll taste awesome on pancakes or microwave-bread-toast.
I also baked the chocolate-mint cookies. Note to self (and any other interested parties) when baking with peppermint extract - be sure to hold your breath and close your eyes when you open the oven door. The stream is really really strong. They have a nice minty tang - not too overpowering at all. I'm excited to chocolate coat them but first they have to cool completely.
Summary of today... The nut butter isn't quite as smooth as I would've liked but it is delicious - especially with the chocolate chunks stirred in. The thin mint cookies are amazingly delicious - I am officially obsessed with chocolate-coating things.

All in all - quite a successful day.

No comments: