Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"Men are not chocolate bars..."

The reward for doing something tough is almost always worth it. In this case it opens possibilities (make that probabilities) of more good things to come. I give you - almond meal. A protein packed, multi-purpose, highly functional flour - all mine as the byproduct of something delicious and relatively easy to make...This morning I milked 2 cups of almonds. Basically you soak almonds for a minimum of 8 hours (I left mine for about 24 because I got a little lazy yesterday.) After saoking, rinse and drain the nuts then pour them into a food processor along with 1 cup of fresh water. Blend until the nuts start to process then add another 3 cups of water, a splash of non-alcoholic vanilla (I used some fresh vanilla seeds scraped from the bean) and a pinch of salt. Process the mixture until it's as smooth as you can get it. (If you're a crazy person like me with a weak-ish food processor then you can now pour the mixture into a blender and blend like crazy to get the nuts as fine as possible. I did this in 2 parts because my blender is kind of small-ish.) Once everything is a 'blended' as it's going to get strain the mixture through fine-cheesecloth or a nut bag, or a paint-strainer-bag or something with a very small weave. Squeeze out all the milky-goodness and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. It will separate in the fridge so just make sure to shake/stir/mix before taking a cupful.

Don't throw out the nut-pulp - I spread mine out on a baking tray and 'dried' it out at 100C for about 2.5 hours - stirring every 20-30 minutes. After it cooled I poured it into a container and am storing it in the fridge (just in case it isn't as dried out as I thought.) It's great to use in cakes, cookies and a whole batch of other delicious baked goods.Nothing else of note really happened today. The machines outside have dug a 10 foot crater about 10 feet from the back of our building. Nobody really seems to know where the actual construction will be happening - but in the meantime they're digging holes and shlepping the dirt down the hill to dump it and make new mountains.Z and I went shopping at Yesh today - it was our chance to 'get out' and I was happy to restock on fresh vegetables (not that any of them are for me) but they did (finally) have french fries in stock again - so I bought a few kilos of them.
Yesterday I was craving something salty but we were out of potato chips and french fries. I decided to make potato-latkes after a fashion. I threw a bunch of potatoes into the food processor and pureed them. Then I stirred in some salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder (After the first batch I poured in some barley-flour just for comparison sake.) Finally I fried them up on my pancake griddle. I only poured oil into the pan once and by the end of the batch I was basically 'dry frying' - but they came out pretty well anyway. (For the record - flourless was awesome fresh but the ones with flour reheated much better.)
Aside from wearing my hair in pigtails and wandering around the house in an oversized shirt and leggings today was completely normal.
Let's hope tomorrow is just as much fun. I think I'm going to have to bake another batch of barley rolls so that I can send some to The Sun House for my fellow fructozoids.
Oh and super-exciting news - Yom Haatzmaut plans are finally 'in place' - we'll be heading out to the cousins for a delightful bbq of sorts! We haven't been there in quite a while. Looking forward!
First things first though - we're getting ready for this coming Shabbos - Soldier Boy will be joining us here in the middle of nowhere. It's going to be a whole lot of fun!

No comments: