Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oh Zoot...

6:30am wake-up - though I don't know why. Oh wait, yes I do. Stupid construction.

Z finally got up at a little before 9 and decided to go to school. I figured I should really get out of the house so I snapped on my pedometer, filled up my water bottle and off we went. I didn't have any real plan of how far I would go but as I made my way down down down I decided that I didn't want to walk all the way back up. I figured that as long as I followed the bus-route I could always hop on a bus. Eventually I reached the last bus-stop that I was willing to walk to. A quick calculation made me realize that waiting 30-45 minutes for a bus in the sun was silly when a 20 minute uphill trek would get me back home. So I hoofed it back up the mountain.
With over 6,000 steps (that's about 3 miles) logged on my pedometer I was ready to be productive.

For some weird reason I couldn't seem to get it through my head that today was Thursday and that Shabbos cooking really needed to be done... I guess there's always tomorrow.

We're planning on taking 'early shabbos' again this week - but that still gives me until almost 6pm to prep all of the food. On a really exciting note - it's our first quiet shabbos in 16 weeks and I am thrilled and overjoyed! I love having guests - but sometimes a quiet weekend alone is exactly the right medicine. Instead of cooking for shabbos I decided to restock the muffins-selection in the freezer.I had strawberries and a few sad looking peaches so I figured I'd turn them into something. I wish I could link you to the original recipes - but I didn't follow either of them anyway.

The strawberry muffins are a basic buttermilk muffin with diced fresh strawberries folded into the batter. Then strawberry jam gets swirled into the muffins to kick up the taste a notch - and it's all topped off with a cinnamon-y almond struesel topping.

The peach muffins are so 'autumn-y' - they're made with brown sugar and packed with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Of course fresh diced peaches are folded straight into the batter.

Z seemed to like both - so I'm hoping they'll actually get eaten.

Lots to do tomorrow - but it shouldn't take too long.
I'm really not looking forward to the heatwave which is forecast for tomorrow (and most likely Shabbos too.)
I'd better remember to water the plants in the morning.

No comments: