Monday, May 30, 2011

Window Size is Crucial

Z pulled an all-nighter last night. When I got out of bed at 7:00 this morning he was still at the computer working. He finally decided to take a 'nap' from 7:30-8:30.

At around 9 my neighbor Aviva came to visit. I was supposed to teach her some computer-related stuff, but it turned into a really nice 3 hour social visit. I enjoyed, and Z shared his muffins for brunch so all was good.

She left at around 12, then I did nothing much for a few hours.

At a little after 2 - Z called to ask if his friends could come over to play 'Settlers' and I said it was alright, because he deserves to have down-time with friends. He said they'd be Home at around 8:30-9pm.

I suddenly had to revise my 'no cook dinner tonight' idea. I haven't actually gone grocery shopping in about 2 weeks. I didn't want to make pasta - because I made pasta for the guys when they came last week. I was running ridiculously low on vegetables. So what the heck was I supposed to make for 4 guys who have spent the last 12 hours in school?! Z said, "soup" so I went with soup.

I threw together a big pot of minestrone soup and some whole wheat oatmeal rolls. I even found some extra carrots and mushrooms that I was able to slice up and put out with chumus. The leftover frosting from the community bbq came in handy - because it made it pretty clear that the easiest dessert to make was a 9x13 pan of sugar cookie bars. Easy peasy.

I experimented with coloring sugar today -  I really need a nice deep dark red color for the cookies I'm making for the event that I'm catering. I tried adding some black to my red, but I think it turned brown. It's hard to tell and looks different depending on the light. On a different note - I didn't want to leave the frosting for the sugar-cookie-bars pastel blue so I added some extra green and yellow hoping to make it slightly different. I wound up with a horrific looking aquamarine color. That wouldn't have been too bad, except I was feeling extremely impatient and I'm not sure what I was thinking but 10 minutes after pulling the bars from the oven I smeared on the frosting. It started to melt and ooze - so I smeared fast and put the whole tray into the fridge. It set somewhat and looked alright, but the frosting turned out a really awful color - especially in the florescent lights...

The guys didn't end up arriving until a little after 10. They are then realized that they had forgotten the game down in their caravan - so 2 went down to retrieve it. I guess it was worthwhile because in the meantime Z and the 3rd one sat down and seriously analyzed Z's studio-project - the one he wasted an entire semester (and last night on.)

I'm currently eavesdropping on their back-&-forth critique session. The good news is that the project might be salvageable. That means that an entire semester's work might not be going in the garbage. I wonder what the final verdict will be.

Tomorrow we're supposed to go grocery shopping.

It's only a little after 11pm - why am I so tired?

No comments: