Sunday, May 29, 2011

You Are NOT Chopped Liver!

This past weekend was our very first Shabbos Home alone in about 4 months. Literally 16 weeks. 2 of those were spent in The Sun House and the other 14 involved guests - most of them sleep-over guests.

We took in 'early shabbos' again - because it's brilliant! I drive Z down to shul then light when I get Home. He only ends up walking 30 minutes back Home (while it's still light out) instead of 45 minutes half in the pitch black. Plus we get to eat at a reasonable hour. I am definitely a fan.

Friday night after lighting candles, I sat out on the mirpeset and read as the sun sank in the sky. I really love the view that we've got - until the new buildings go up anyway.

We went to sleep on the early side (since we'd been up battling mosquitoes throughout the night on Thursday. Z is way ahead of me in the squeeto-squashing-score 9-to-1 or something obscene like that, and all juicy-ones to boot.)

I was woken up by the sound of rain at a little after 5am on Shabbos morning. I quickly closed all of the doors and windows and marveled at the delightful chill in the air. At around 9 I was happy to open the windows again and let the delicious smell of 'clean' float through the apartment.

The afternoon passed quite quickly and before we knew it the day was gone. Stars were twinkling so we made havdala before straightening up a bit. We decided to read some more instead of watching tv or a movie.

The meals were simple but delicious. I was very pleased with the selection.

Friday Night: roasted garlic, chumus, challah, chicken soup (with 2 matzah balls on the side), white rice, couscous, Gramma's tomato chicken, baby peas
Shabbos Lunch: roasted garlic, chumus, challah, FF 'not quite tri-color' pasta salad, mushroom barley bake, FF rice kugel, FF mashed potato kugel, simple roast chicken, sauteed chicken breast, couscous
Dessert: cookie brittle, FF PB CC Oat-flour cookies

Sunday started waaaaay too early. I thought that 6:30am was early for the 'construction' to begin, but this morning they were banging away right outside my window at 5:15 in the morning?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I honestly do not understand how it can be allowable. I should call the cops and see what they say. (Though, one of our downstairs neighbors is a police officer and I suppose if he hasn't done anything about it - then maybe there's nothing that can be done.)

The only really productive thing that I did today was 'number crunching' for a project that I'm working on. I'm doing a favor for a friend and helping to cater a dessert-buffet event for 160-200 people right after Shavuos. I'm not planning on doing it on a regular basis or anything - but my friend could really use the help and I am excited to do the work knowing that it will be enjoyed. Don't worry, I'll be getting paid for the gig - it's a real 'win-win' situation for both of us.

I also got to 'skype' with some shmooshes who never fail to make me smile! (That's a serious 'ponytail' over there - just for the record.)

Aside from that, I corrected a couple of typos in the recipe-collection. (I really need to print the photos already so that I can deliver the books.)

The guys aren't coming over this week because the entire Arch department is hard at work on their final studio projects. I basically won't be seeing or spending any time with Z until after June 23rd. Isn't that nice? *sigh*

In other interesting news - Z tested one of the 'new recipe' strawberry super-muffins from the freezer and the verdict was that they held up very well to the icy-treatment. He defrosted and warmed it in the microwave for 35-40 seconds and then wolfed it down. He seemed quite pleased with it. Maybe tomorrow he'll try one of the peach variety for breakfast.

Tomorrow a neighbor might be coming over so that I can teach her some computer-y stuff. I also need to make another batch of waffles for the freezer. I really want to assemble a batch or 2 of personal-pizzas for he freezer while I'm at it. I defrosted the tomato sauce from last week and want to use up the last of the grated cheese before it goes bad. So that's my plan. (Now that I've publicized it I'm hoping that I'll actually do it.)

No comments: