Sunday, June 12, 2011

Do You Play the Kora?

I was up and in the kitchen by 6:30 this morning. First I baked 2 buttermilk bundt cakes, then I baked a batch of chocolate crackle cookies. The first 2 bundt cakes came out of the pan with no problems whatsoever, but the 3rd cake, (the lemon one) flopped. I was upset - but not deterred.
Meanma and YoAbba arrived at around 1pm. The first order of business was putting a lemon pound cake into the oven. While it baked Meanma helped me in the 'garden' - we thinned out the pepper-plantlings. Now they're housed in 2 planters so they have more room to grow. I hope they keep growing as nicely as they have been growing until now.
The next thing on the list was lunch. I made 2 versions of stuffed zucchini. One type for Yo'Abba & Z which was filled with a seasoned couscous and vegetable mixture and a second version for Meanma filled with a rice & zucchini mixture.

I sliced the tops off of the zucchini then hollowed them out with my melon-baller. Then I drizzled some olive oil into the zucchinis and sprinkled in some salt and pepper. Finally I popped them into the oven to roast for 20 minutes.

Then I made the fillings. First I diced up the zucchini flesh. Next I sauteed a diced onion in a little bit of olive oil and once it was translucent I added some of the diced zucchini. When the zucchini was softened I threw in some diced tomato then seasoned with salt, garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Once everything was cooked down I stirred some couscous (pre-cooked) into the vegetable mixture and stirred it all together.
For the rice mixture I just sauteed the zucchini until it was soft then seasoned with salt, black pepper, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a dash of garlic powder. I cooked it down and when the zucchini had released its juices and was nicely cooked (and starting to caramelize a bit) I stirred the rice into the mixture and heated it through.

When the zucchini shells were roasted (but still firm enough to hold their shape) I stuffed them with their assorted fillings and served immediately.

They made a delightful light 'Mediterranean' lunch served alongside some broiled lightly seasoned 'little white fishies' (tilapia were the delicate fish of choice of the day.)
The parentals had to leave on the early side so they could get back to The Sun House. We packed up the car and said our goodbyes.
All in all a very productive and enjoyable day.

No comments: