Thursday, June 09, 2011

Haj = 42

Tuesday was erev chag - I woke up early, straightened up the apartment (somewhat), packed and got dressed. Then we left for The Sun House. We went on the early side hoping to do some errands. We ended up going to RBS where we were successful in all missions (except for acquiring ridged potato chips.) We even picked up Z's A, and they went on a little tiyul together out in nature.

Chag was splendid. We had a really great time. The Freddies' were also around and a good holiday was had by all. We played some Settlers, read some bad jokes in the newspaper and didn't let the dog eat our socks. I even went to shul in the morning (for the first time in close to 2 years.)

When chag ended we picked Sara up and headed back to the middle of nowhere. She had a final scheduled for early this morning and I had a lot of caramel popcorn to make.

I was awake at 6:30 (for no explicable or logical reason) but I tried to be quiet until 8. At that point I made a batch of PB&J Bars (yup, peanut butter and jelly bars) and I put the chicken soup up to cook. At a little after 11, I picked Sara up and we went grocery shopping. I was surprised to see that Yesh actually had some decent produce (considering it was the day after a holiday.) We also stopped off in 'town' to pick up the salatim for shabbos.

Back at Home I popped 3cups of popcorn kernels and proceeded to begin the arduous caramel-popcorn making process. You've got to understand that my oven can only fit 1 tray into it at a time - and that a single batch of caramel popcorn makes 2 trays worth of stuff. I was making a triple batch (which meant 6 trays worth of popcorn) and each tray needs to be in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Oh yes - and the tray in the oven needs to be stirred every 10 minutes (so that the caramel coat sets evenly.) So... altogether that means 6 hours of kitchen time and that for those 6 hours, I needed to run to the kitchen every 10 minutes to 'stir' the stuff. Like I said, arduous.

I didn't accomplish much of anything else. Well, I did 3 loads of laundry - but that doesn't really count. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day because we're having Ayala and her 2 brothers over - so I've got to cook, and set-up the guest room. At least the dessert is already made. I'm also using the challah from the freezer, the pineapple kugel from the freezer and the matzah balls from the freezer. The soup is made (though I need to boil it up with some new vegetables.) So all that I have left is the 'main's, some 'salads' and side-dishes... On second thought - there is quite a bit of work left to do.

I guess tonight should be an early night -to compensate for what will no-doubt be an early morning.

Wish me luck!

No comments: