Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Infection Detection Suspection

A productive morning is directly affected by the quality of sleep experienced the night before.

I haven't really been getting anything done for the last week or so. I'm guessing it had something to do with not sleeping well. Yesterday Z and I went grocery shopping and finally decided to splurge and buy one of those 'plug-in' thingamajigs against mosquitoes. Basically it sprays some sort of poison around the room to kill the buggers. I'm pretty sure it's not all-that-great health-wise - but personally I'd rather be inhaling the mosquito-poison than getting bitten and woken up by the buzzing. Last night was the first night in about 2 weeks that I fell asleep when my head hit the pillow at11pm and I didn't wake up until 7:00 this morning. It was delightful.A by-product of an extremely restful night was getting stuff done this morning. I baked my challah for shabbos (I made a 1/2 batch of dough into 6 small-ish loaves - because Akiva is coming for Shabbos and he likes his challah.) I also cleaned out my kitchen garbage pail and lid (with bleach in the bathtub) because it was in dire need of a scrubbing. Then I tackled my oven-trays - they were disgusting for some weird reason. I gave them a super-scrubbing and now they're, well - not quite like new, but definitely much much better.Today is June 1st. That means that in just 28 more days it will be my 26th birthday. I thought 25 was exciting - but I'm guessing that being on the side of 'closer to 30' will be fun too. If anyone was wondering what sorts of things I want for my birthday - well, wonder no more. I've had my eye on 3 books in particular (ok a lot more than 3 - but let's just keep it at 3 for now) and if anyone decided to send them to me - let's just say I'd be thrilled. The first is Sugar Baby by Gesine Bullock-Prado - it's a book all about sugar and candy making which I am getting very interested in - especially now that I've bought myself 2 cheap-o candy thermometers to experiment with. The other 2 are 'bread bibles' because as you know - I am a bread-baking-aholic even though I can't eat it anymore *sniffle* The first is Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. The other is The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhert.

Speaking of baking bread - the challahs I made this week are decidedly the prettiest loaves that have come out of my oven in months. Just in case you were wondering.Z came home from school super early today - which kind of threw off my 'groove' of doing random 'around-the-house' stuff. I retired to the couch - but decided that I might as well do one more kitchen-experiment just so I could feel somewhat productive.I had a whole batch of cherry tomatoes sitting on the counter and I wasn't in the mood to make sauce. Instead I sliced them in half and stuck them in the oven at 100C for about 7 hours. After the first 2 hours I drizzled them with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled on some coarse salt and garlic powder. 3 hours later I switched the parchment paper they were roasting on and flipped them upside down. 1 hour later I turned them over again. When they seemed leathery and dried-out I took them out of the oven and let them cool. Then I sterilized a glass gar, packed them into it and covered them with olive oil. I'm storing the whole shebang in the fridge and am going to use them in the next 2 weeks - because that's what all the protocol I read suggested doing (to prevent food-poisoning anyway.)

Z ate them straight out of the oven and he really seemed to enjoy the super-tomato-flavor packed into the little morsels.For dinner Z ate the last onion-soup from the freezer. He was awesome and made me rice-spaghetti with a dollop of tomato-sauce for dinner. (See, he really does love me.)

I spent a couple of hours helping Freddie write a paper today. We opened it in a Google-document and were able to edit it simultaneously. It was the first time I ever had the opportunity to work with someone on an open document at the same time. It was really cool.Tomorrow is Thursday again. I'll be waking up early and setting the chicken soup up to cook. I've also got to figure out what it is exactly that I'm making for Shabbos. I have somewhat of an idea - and the chicken is already frozen in its marinade so that saves me some time. But still - I want it to be nice. At least the challah is done.

No comments: