Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cows Say 'Moo'

Well - it wasn't quite the Shabbos I'd expected but it turned out alright in the end.

After a decidedly bad hour and a half leading up to leaving the house and candle-lighting we ended up cancelling on our hosts. I felt horrible about it but was really not feeling well enough to walk all the way back up the mountain. They were completely understanding about the whole situation and told us that if anything changed we should still feel free to come.

Thankfully when it was time to drive Z down to shul I had managed to pull myself together and stand upright. I dropped him off then zoomed off to our would-be-hosts house to drop off the desserts package that I had made for them. (I packed up some of the almond meringues, lemon meringues and a batch of caramel corn.) When I knocked on the door she was so surprised to see me - I apologized profusely, and she was amazingly wonderful, gave me a drink told me to sit - I reckon my not-so-healthy-pallor worked in my favor. Anyway - 'early minyan' takes about an hour to daven and then a 35 minute walk home so I figured I had some time to get back to the house and light candles. I spent a delightful 45 minutes shmoozing and meeting a whole bunch of one of the daughter's dolls. She sent me home with rice and a container of soup (a 'temani-esque' chicken&beef stock).

Shabbos passed by so ridiculously slowly I felt like I lost 2-3 weeks instead of just 1 day. It was a whopping 90F inside the apartment today and even with the fans going we were hot. Stupid heat-wave - it wasn't like this last summer or the summer before either! It was too hot to sleep last night and today was worse than the night-time so no restful naps for me. I am absolutely exhausted.

We played Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble and Rummikub to try and pass the time but nothing really helped. Finally at around 8:30pm the temperature (finally) dropped to the mid 80's.

This is going to be an interesting week. I just hope my stomach can keep up...

No comments: