Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cold Noodles!

Here's a celebratory picture of my camera. I thought it was lost and gone forever, but Yo'abba found it moments before we left The Sun House to head back Home. And there was much rejoicing.
 Just to follow-up on yesterdays post...
 I almost didn't buy the apples because 'apple season' might be autumn in the USofA but the sure are pricey here (especially since you only get about 2 bites off of each one...)
 Setting up the candy...
 I dropped the apples into a boiling water and vinegar mixture to get the wax-coating off of them. It's an important step because if you leave the wax on then the candy will just sliiiiiiide right off of the apples into a sad little mound around their bases...
 Sticks up their middles. *clears throat*
 Half a teaspoon of red food-coloring - to make the candy that signature happy red color and 1/4 tsp of strawberry flavoring to add to the leftover candy...
 It takes a good long while for the heat to rise. I thought my thermometer had stalled or something around 225F - it just wouldn't change.
 At around 275F I added the coloring and then as we hit the 300F mark I started coating...
 So pretty!!! I only got one super-bubbly-candy-coating because I was a little too excited to actually be making candy apples and didn't dip carefully (no it wasn't the first apple, it was actually the 3rd, but I just got a little too exuberant...)
 The leftover candy shouldn't go to waste. So I added the strawberry flavoring and made some free-form lolly-pops! I never realized how easy hard candy is to make! I'm seriously considering investing in some lolly-pop molds now! They make an adorable gift and you can even customize them by pressing jelly-beans, licorice and all sorts of other things into them! Super pretty!
 Caramel apples to follow - just wanted to get your attention...
Mmmmm, candy!

1 comment:

Rik said...

So in my head I'm hearing "An apple my Pretty? Ahahahaha"
Ala Snow White