Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ultimate Productive Procrastination

Today there were a lot of things that were supposed to get done. I didn't do very many. I was supposed to put together a stationary-set for a client (they finally sent me the information I needed yesterday) but after an hour and a half of fiddling around with it I got frustrated. So far I have 2 envelope-design ideas and 4 letterhead ideas. Personally, I don't like any of them and I'm pretty sure the client won't be thrilled either. Bad news for me. Seriously, bad news. (Especially since he wanted this done - as he put it - "yesterday"...)
I made myself rice for lunch because I just wasn't in the mood to scrub a potato. Doesn't mean I skipped the potatoes though - no - I ate the rice with potato chips. My very favorite way since going FF - and I haven't had that combo in about three and a half months.
Yesterday I was trying to puzzle out my Shabbos menu. It's going to be a quiet weekend here, but we still need food. I got a serious hankering for knishes. As you may remember, I've been searching for 'THE' knish-dough for ages. I'd tried 3 recipes so far (and they were all failures in my book) but I was still far from beaten. The other day I stumbled upon a very cute little food-blog which hasn't been updated since 2009. But the author holds to 'kashrut' (which means no meat&dairy or treif foods) and also means good for me! He had 3 variations of knish dough posted, so I wrote them down and decided to try out 2 of them.

The first recipe turned out this ridiculously flaky pasty dough. It would be amazing for strudel. As a matter of fact - I'm going to make strudel with it. It made darn good knishes but they probably won't be as tasty once they're reheated. I went with a kasha filling (because I love kasha!) I used an egg and some mashed potatoes to hold the insides together. I got 18 out of this first batch - but we gobbled up 9 of them straight out of the oven.

I've been a little overzealous with the measuring lately and have been overestimating amounts quite frequently of late - so there was a lot (and I mean A LOT) of filling left over. That was alright though - because I had a 2nd recipe of dough to try out. I made up the dough but haven't gotten around to shaping the knishes yet - so I'll have to keep you posted on how they turn out...
I had a surprise visitor at around 4:00 which was a lot of fun. I love it when Sara stops by! Especially when I'm having cold lonely days. We entertained ourselves for a while then she had to go back to her dorm to study. (She's quite a studious one nowadays!) But it's ok - we're gonna see her tomorrow, cause we're going to go on a trip into town to pick up the last-minute things for Shabbos. Like more gummy worms and fresh chumus and all that important stuff!

No comments: