Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dinner Fries

Friday was quite the busy day - seeing as I had to do ALL of the cooking for Shabbos - because I'd been toooooo lazy to get anything done on Thursday.

I decided to go 'all-out' with the challah and kneaded up 1/2 a batch of dough. Z could only locate 1 'challah-pan' so I ended up shaping 3 loaves and only making 1 chocolate babka. (probably a good thing because if there had been a second one available I probably would have eaten the entire thing myself.)

Abe joined us which was really nice. We hadn't seen him in a while. The weather was cold but the food and company were good - so it all balanced out.

Friday night: chumus, matbucha, meatball minestrone soup, coucous, jersey chicken & green beans.

Shabbos lunch: chumus, matbucha, 'build-your-own' sweet-salad, sliced vegetables, 'the drs' dry-rubbed chicken, potato kugel & kasha varnishkas.

Dessert: blondies (leftover from Wednesday night) and the most delectable chocolate babka I've ever made.

Why did I never think of using chocolate-spread in babka before?! I smear on a thin-layer of chocolate spread then sprinkled some walnuts and chocolate chips and a final dusting of cinnamon - then I rolled it up, twisted it and baked it with a delicious brown sugar crumb topping. It made oneheckuva mess in the oven as it oozed and grew - but man oh man - it rivaled the taste of chocolate babka from any bakery I've ever tasted.

No comments: