Thursday, December 08, 2011

Jump Bump - Jump!

Tuesday was a boring 'do-nothing' day. Well - that's not entirely true. I spent Tuesday designing receipt booklets and a stamper for my 'little business' - now I will have fancy receipts to give out instead of the silly little generic ones I've been using until now.

Wednesday was relatively laid-back and quiet. Ora & Shlomo came over for dinner which was really nice. We hadn't seen them in a while so it was good to catch up. I served tossed salad, a hearty tomato vegetable soup and a loaf of amazingly delicious cheddar cheese bread. For dessert we ate blondies (kept warm in the oven) served over french-vanilla ice cream. In a word - scrumptiousness.

This morning started off on the early-side. I headed into 'town' at a 8:45am so I could get some of the grocery shopping done before meeting up with the newly-begun English-book-club. I had to go to 4 different stores to find the ingredients for the super special treat that I'm making Z for Shabbos - meatball minestrone soup.

I didn't actually get much accomplished today - too tired and nauseous (and cold and lazy - but who's counting?) I did 3 loads of laundry and cooked up the (dried) beans for the soup. Thankfully the only labor-intensive parts of Shabbos cooking are the challah and the soup - so hopefully it won't take too long to get everything done tomorrow. I've also decided to multi-task on the challah/dessert front and make 2/3rds of the dough into challah and the last 1/3rd into a chocolate babka. Ta-da! Brilliant! Right?!

In very happy news I bought coca-cola 'flavored' gummy worms today.

In even more heartwarming news - Z made dinner tonight (well, he made most of it anyway) - he pan-seared thin chicken cutlets (seasoned with garlic olive oil, salt & pepper), then he turned the leftover baked potatoes (from Monday night) into crash(smash)-baked-potatoes. I finally got around to cooking that cauliflower I bought last week as 'popcorn cauliflower' and it was amazingly delicious (as usual) and for some 'color' we added a bit of tossed salad (man it's nice to have washed lettuce in the fridge!) I think it was probably the most healthful meal I've eaten in a long while - at least it felt that way. (Maybe that's because it was the first time in a few months that the thought of eating chicken didn't seem revolting to me...)

Other adventures of the day included: almost throwing out the oven-mitts, creative uses for a popcorn bucket, the search for spinach, buying bones, many tiny kicks and more.

Somehow in my life even the boring days are exciting...

No comments: