Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Contract? Release...

Out of sheer boredom and complete impatience I decided to spend today being 'productively creative' - in my mind the best way to accomplish that is in the kitchen...
The first order of business was mixing up 1/2 a batch of these soft sugar cookies (I used 1 XL egg, made each cookie 8 tsp of batter big, rolled them in the sprinkles then flattened them and chilled as shaped discs for an hour before baking.) I ended up with 12 nice-sized cookies - so I was quite pleased!
At Z's insistence I made a batch of 'healthy' cookies - enormous oatmeal craisin white chocolate chip cookies. I customized the add-ins and actually used 6Tbsp of oil instead of applesauce (because I didn't have any applesauce.) This isn't a flattering picture - but they were very tasty - big, moist and chewy. I scooped them out 8 tsp of dough per cookie and ended up with 14 cookies.
These double chocolate cookies were quite a hit. I liked them best warm out of the oven (or zapped in the microwave so that the chips were melty and delicious.) I made only 1/2 a batch of dough and scooped the cookies out about 1/4 of the 'recommended size' - granted they were still 6 tsp of dough apiece and I got 12 out of the batch.
 My most exciting venture of the day was trying these Black&White delicacies. I only made 1/2 a batch and got 10 cookies. I actually followed the recipe for the cookie bases, and even measured out the batter to the specifications of the recipe (yup - that's 12tsp - or 4Tbsp of batter per cookie.) I used my 'usual' glaze and they came out beautifully and absolutely delicious. I think I might have slightly overbaked the bases so next time I'll cut back on a minute or so.
The guys came over for 'game nite' and Sara & Yael came up too. Pasta primavera for dinner was an absolute hit and of course the cookies for dessert! We played a 5-player game of extended 'Settlers' then some Set, Yaniv and finally a round (or three) of poker. We decided to call it a night at 10:30ish - exhaustion hit us all pretty hard. Lots of laughs and everyone kind of wondering when the next game-night will be...
Tomorrow - laundry to wash, friends to visit, cookies to deliver, Shabbos to cook for...

Busy day. Wish me luck...

No comments: