Monday, May 06, 2013


I haven't abandoned you, oh loyal readers. Things have been insanely busy of late. Where to begin?

Two shabbatot ago we celebrated The Dibble's bar-mitzvah. It was a shabbat-long affair and a lot of work but he really enjoyed himself. A family-filled weekend culminated in a crazy Portal themed party and sleep was not to be had until the wee hours of the next morning. I baked a lot of desserts and helped shlep and set-up so many things that I don't really want to go to a party anytime in the near future.

Last week wasn't really any more quiet than the previous one. We spent a few days apartment hunting since we'll be moving out of Ariel in the summer when our lease is up. We think we found a cute little place to suit us for the next couple of years until our final destination is complete. More details to follow after we sign the contract and all that jazz.

An extreme heatwave started in the middle of the week and in Friday morning (after 3 days of being bombarded by mosquitoes while trying to sleep) we decided to pack up our bags and head back to The Sun House for a bit of a break. At least we enjoyed airconditioning during the meals and all afternoon.

Sunday morning we rushed back to the Middle of Nowhere to get Buzz to his '1 year baby-center check-up' where he charmed the nurse with his shy smile right up until she gave him his 3 vaccinations - one in each leg and one in an arm. He was happy to get out of her office after that and was all smiles a few minutes later.

We ran into some friends in town on our way to pick up a bottle of baby tylenol for in case Buzz got grumpy so we sat to shmooze for a few minutes. Then we got Buzz a slice of pizza for lunch - which he loved!

Back at Home I baked up a batch of potato knishes and made a lot of dirty dishes. I didn't do anything else that was really productive.

Buzz didn't sleep well last night and neither did I. I figured he was getting upset and bitten by the same mosquito who kept dive-bombing me and buzzing in my ear. However this morning when his arm had a whole bunch of tiny red spots in addition to the bigger bites I wondered whether something was up. A few hours later more dots had appeared and eventually they also popped up aaaaaalllllll over his legs. A few showed up on his face and I decided it was time to run down to the dr. Turns out he's one of those lucky kids who got honest-to-goodness chickenpox from the vaccine. They don't seems to be bothering him yet so I figured that I would keep him quarantined for the next week or two. I called my friend who we spent time with yesterday to let her know about the development (since we'd been with her 9 month old daughter too) and much to my delight(? surprise?) she is vaccinating her daughter but would prefer not to give the chickenpox vaccine, rather that her daughter should just have chickenpox 'naturally' - so she wasn't the least bit upset or worried when I told her that Buzz was a tiny pox-monster. She actually asked if they could come over to play if Buzz was feeling up to it. Like I said, he's been pretty cheery today so far - so I told her that they were more than welcome.

In a weird sort of way I feel like I'm going to start an epidemic...

1 comment:

Freddie said...

I was wondering when you were going to post again!
Kisses to the pox monster :)