Sunday, April 13, 2014

Casually Vacant

Last Monday was jam-packed. I finally did that blood-work and when the results came back I definitely felt like I'd failed quite miserably - let's just say if there was ever somebody all-around deficient - it'd be me. Shame it's not medal-worthy - I could really use a pick-me-up. After spending almost an hour waiting for the nurse to get around to taking my blood - I decided to run other errands that I'd been putting off. There was a parking spot at the top of cardiac hill, so I decided to pick up the checkbook that I'd ordered a couple of months earlier - that took almost an hour. Then I dropped off the recycling at the 'kiosk' and was lucky to have gotten my stuff in - the place was full from floor to ceiling - it was crazy. When I got home we piled back into the car and went out to IKEA. What's not to love about a cheap but tasty lunch out and of course Ikea 'stuff'. We got cups and a frying pan. We also picked up the 'tent' for Buzz's bed and thankfully the 'customer service' people were able to replace the missing/damaged pieces. When we got home we unpacked the car then spent the rest of the day assembling Buzz's bed and reorganizing his bedroom. He seems to love it so that's all good.
Tuesday was actually super-productive. We kicked off by scrubbing the stovetop and ovens cleaner than they have been since we first got the oven. The windows were completely spotless. It was crazy intense labor and my hand was cramped for two days after. While I was busy dealing with the oven, Z took some initiative and cleaned out the fridge and freezer. All the sticky gunk is officially gone! Yay! When I was finished with the cleaning I turned to 'straightening' as I successfully emptied one entire kitchen pantry and tetris-fit all of the contents into the second pantry. It took some maneuvering but I was successful. Z cleared the table and cleaned the floor. When we were done we went out to the mall and treated ourselves to some dinner at Cafe Greg. Back at home Z put Buzz to bed while I folded 4 loads of laundry and switched over the first part of huge kitchen. The cabinets were ready it was just a matter of putting everything into them.
Early Wednesday morning Z went out to the Shafir office to deal with house-plan related stuff. Turns out they don't like the way we allocated space in the house and have therefore not given us the permit. Now Z has to figure out how to cut a heck of a lot of space off of the plan and resubmit or he has to redesign the whole project. Either way, we are not getting anywhere and I am not happy - to say the least. The stupid people make it impossible to build a beautiful house - they insist that it needs to be a stupidly and poorly designed Israeli brick. At this point I have almost zero interest in actually ever living there - the idiocy is just killing me.
I spent my morning washing the last of the dishes, and scrubbing out the microwave. I also did some loads of laundry. When Z got back we went out to the grocery store. Osher Ad was a mob scene. It took us an hour and a half to get in, through, and out - and we barely needed anything. Just vegetables and some dairy stuff. Ridiculous. We dropped the groceries off at home then we kidnapped a vaccuum from The FamBily House. While the ovens were kashering we cleaned all three couches and all of the rugs. I also washed all 400 ball-pit balls and did a wash of stuffed animals. We also cleaned some hard-to-reach corners. Then we returned the vaccuum and kidnapped Frank on our way to the spice store. 
Thursday was also busy. We finally finished organizing the kitchen. I cooked up a big pot of tomato vegetable soup. We went over to The FamBily house and used their convenient power hook-ups and parking spot to vaccuum/clean out the car, stroller, and car seat. When that was done we snuck back home and Z collected the pile of things to kasher. He went out with everything and came back with everything. Very impressive. Now we officially have 'real' silverware to eat with for the week (you know, instead of plastic.)
Also Debs had a baby boy - so that's an exciting mazal tov to 'shout out'!
Friday morning showed up and it was time to figure out what we were going to eat for shabbos. We had that leftover vegetable soup so I decided to repurpose it. We made 1/4kg into tiny meatballs, browned them in our new frying pan, then put them into the soup - they made it even more delicious! We also roasted a whole chicken on a bed of onions, sweet and white potatoes. For lunch we invited ourselves over to The FamBily house - we brought a nice amount of two-toned potato gratin with us - it actually turned out quite deliciously.
I blanched and peeled 2 cups of almonds - then turned them into 3liters of deliciously creamy almond milk. I may have gotten Buzz hooked on chocolate milk.
We didn't spend all day in the kitchen though. We actually spent the whole morning out of the house. Z got me a special and exciting Pesach present - a food processor and hand mixer! Then we went to the mall to let Buzz get out some of his energy.
We were pretty relaxed when candle-lighting time arrived. Z went out to shul. Buzz stayed up for dinner then went to sleep without too much fuss.
Shabbos morning we walked over to The FamBily house on the early side. Lunch was delicious and fun and after a few hours we decided to make the most of the nice weather and we walked back home - Phil came with us and hung out until a little before the end of the day. Buzz was zonked even though he took a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and he went to sleep right after havdala.
Now it's morning again and there's nothing much to do besides for taping up littler 'chametz' signs on the kitchen cabinets that we're 'selling'. We're trying to find something fun to do today because tomorrow is a nice long day too. It's not too sunny and hot out so maybe we'll just have a picnic out at the park - that could be fun. I'm going to go suggest it to the guys.

No comments: