Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Floppifying Pan

Pretty typical morning - eggs and fries for breakfast. Then we watched some George before doing half an hour of blogilates. We weren't overly productive in terms of housework - which is to say that besides for washing the pan used to make breakfast we did nothing around the house.
Eventually it was (early) lunchtime and Buzz happily ate some chicken nuggets with pasta. Then he snuggled with me and conked out for a nap on the living room couch. I managed to get him tucked into his bed without too much trouble and he proceeded to sleep for a little more than an hour. Luckily for me as soon as he was safely in his room I ran to shower. I'm glad I didn't dilly-dally or any such nonsense because if I had I would have definitely missed out on the opportunity to bathe in blessed silence for the second time in three days! Woohoo!
When he woke up from his nap he was moderately cheery. He probably could have used a longer nap but he wasn't going to conk out again. So I worked with what I had. After a snack of pretzel sandwiches (Buzz's idea...) we put on shoes, packed up snacks, and headed out to the park.

Over the last six months or so Buzz has show little to no interest in playing at the park near our house. (Probably because we spoiled him by frequently letting him play at the jumbo-normous parks in nearby neighborhoods.) Today he was quite enthusiastic about exploring the snake-path park just one building past ours. Somehow we spent over an hour winding our way up and up and up with plenty of breaks for water and snacks along the way.
We played until Z got home from work. Then after a quick trip to the grocery store for important staples (milk, jam, and eggs...) followed by a mad dash back to the apartment (to close all of the windows and drop off the cold stuff) we drove over to The FamBily House. We'd been invited to a Lag (read:lahd) Bomer bbq. Dinner was delicious and we enjoyed hanging out as usual. We apprehensively watched cranes and dump trucks unloading their cargo of wooden stuffs. All fire fodder. Simply put - terrifying.

As the sun set the bonfires were lit. Massive towers, the height of two tall men, set ablaze by pyromaniacal natives. They heated so much and so quickly that nobody could even bear to stay in their vicinity. The mountain of flames was quickly abandoned and smaller sites were set up in other areas of the field, where people could actually congregate and sit round the fires to kumzitz and enjoy.
We said our goodbyes and made our way home to bathe one very dirty and very tired little monster. He was yawning and asking to go to bed until he realized that we'd been serious about bathing him. As soon as he heard the water running in the tub he perked up and got ridiculously excited about playing with his bath toys.

We're all sleeping in sweats and long sleeves tonight since the a/c is running. Z wanted the timer to turn it off at 2am but I for one refuse to get out of bed to open windows at that hour of the morning. Especially when the smoke cloud of unbanked bonfires will hover over the city for at least the next day and a half.
Tomorrow is Monday. Phil is off on adventures and Z has work. Buzz and I will have to find something exciting to do. Maybe we will bake some cookies, or make some playdoh, or paint with watercolors, or fingerpaint, or something else messy and oh so much fun!! Who knows - there are so many possibilities!

No comments: