Thursday, August 27, 2015

Birthdays and Bugles!

Yesterday I was feeling much better. Sarah Leah had slept over so we hung out with her until she had to leave. Then about half an hour later Ayala came over to play for a couple of hours. Then when 5:30pm rolled around Buzz and I made our way out to the park. The weather was absolutely beautiful. 

Buzz and I were also pretty productive. We cooked up a jumbo batch of potato kugel that should get us through Shabbat and the chagim, and we baked a double batch of chocolate-chip-cookie-sticks to stock up the freezer stash.
This morning breakfast was seasoned home fries with scrambled eggs. Then Aruchat Eser (mid-morning snack) was brought to us by S&S. Jumbo chocolate chip pancakes with some HDL boosting butter and maple syrup! Deeeeliciousness!!!

Our big project today was baking Phil's super-awesome birthday cake! A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had a 'house moving sale' and I snagged an awesome 10-cup Nordicware bundt pan shaped like a castle! I saved it specifically for this birthday occasion and it was SO worth the wait!
I totally tweaked up our usual yellow cake recipe. I added extra vanilla, and used Pareve cream in place of fruit juice, and cut back the sugar (3/4 golden + 3/4 demerara) by about half a cup. My next sneaky step was to pour off about 1/3 of the batter and stir into it some cocoa powder and chocolate syrup. Then I layered it into the pan and prayed. A lot.

I'm not gonna lie. I was suuuuper anxious about the prospect of flipping the cake out of the pan. Thank G-d - I was relieved, surprised, and thrilled when the cake popped right out of the pan with absolutely no issues! Ohmygoodness! SO much excitement! Buzz and I did a happy dance and shrieked for a bit while we sat around the table and watched it cool.
We opted to serve the cake with just some whipped cream on the side to keep the sweetness level to a minimum. About half the cake got eaten, so I'd say it was a good call. Buzz was just happy to lick the beaters after whipping up the cream.

Finally it was present time! Phil was not expecting the surprise that Freddie and I had thought up for her. For weeks she tried to puzzle out what it was - but we definitely got her good. Below is her reaction when she realized what it was...(she was laughing a whole lot.)
Finally completing the set of storybooks. Presents to grace her bookshelves for years to come.

Then sadly, it was time for us to do our usual 'dash' to get Buzz into bed since he was crashing. We had a blast though! Please invite us back again soon...
Tomorrow LOTS of cleaning and cooking to do. Papa is coming over for shabbos and Buzz is VERY excited. He spent the day telling me how Papa and Puppy are going to play together alllll day on Shabbat. It was pretty adorable. I'm curious to see whether he actually shares his puppy - since he doesn't always let me hold puppy. I guess we shall see!

No comments: