Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Brick Red

I left you in suspense on Thursday night. Well, by Friday evening Buzz was running a fever but it was nothing alarming so we figured we'd ride it out until Sunday. Of course by Sunday he was perfectly fine but we couldn't send him to gan because of the whole '24 hours fever free' policy. Thankfully Monday morning rolled around and off they both went.
Whoops, I got a little ahead of myself. Shabbos was a lot of fun. Abe came to visit. The chicken soup came out perfect (in Z's opinion - which meant a tad on the salty side but actually really delicious.) Everything was excellent besides Buzz being whiny and whatnot on account of being sick with who knows what. We caved at 3pm Shabbos afternoon and took him out to the deserted park to play. He was suffering from major cabin fever and nobody else was out at the park at that hour so we ventured forth. Buzz was thrilled.

That night before going to sleep we changed our clocks back an hour. And the next morning at 5:30, Buzz was up and ready to roll. *jumbo yawn*
Sunday was a complete 'do nothing' day. I was determined to make it the most boring day of the kid's life. (Obviously in an attempt to disabuse him of the notion that 'home' is THE funniest place to be ALWAYS and forever.) I'm not sure if it worked, but on Monday he went back to gan and when I picked him up he was mighty cheerful.
While he was at gan on Monday I utilized my time in questionably productive ways. Namely by piping two big baking trays full of candy eyeballs. It's Tuesday and I'm still waiting for them to dry completely. Since Halloween falls out on Saturday, AND we are having Z's gang of friends over for brunch on a Shabbos - I decided to make a significant nod at my favorite excuse for decorating things electric green, orange, and purple! Obviously spookiness factor and eyeballs figure in there prominently. It might be pagan, but away from the brouhaha of 'The West', it becomes whatever I want to make of it. And I want to make it fun.
As I've mentioned, now that Z is back in school Mondays are one of our VERY long days. So when I picked Buzz up from gan we went to the park for an hour. Then back at home we had a drawn out bath time, scrambled eggs super for supper, then finally it was 7ish and Buzz was exhausted so bedtime. I used my time wisely - washed some dishes, made a lasagna for shabbos... Productivity.
This morning kicked off with a whole lot of rain. It rained in random bursts of 5-10 minutes. I ended up getting dressed on the early side since I was expecting a delivery. I also completed sample collection for the second round of testing that the dr has me doing now in an attempt to find an underlying cause for my issues - since it was bright and sunny out (between squalls) I quickly ran out to the post office and mailed off the package.

At 3:20 the skies opened. As 3:30 neared I accepted the fact that the storm was not going to ease up. Dressed in rainboots, armed with two umbrellasand  a kid-carrier, wearing my waterproof jacket, and carrying a spare pair of pajama pants - I set off. Boy oh boy was it wet.

The teachers were horrified/shocked and amused that I had walked AND even more so when they realized that we were on foot for the return journey. I assured them that the kind of rain we were experiencing had never caused anybody to melt. Then I slung Buzz up on my back, pulled his waterproof poncho over his head, hitched up all the bags, slid my arms into my raincoat backwards, assembled out umbrella tent-roof, and headed out into the storm. We were heading to The FamBily House which meant either trekking all the way there or a 20 minute wait at the bus stop.

Halfway to the bus stop, I heard a vehicle honking behind me. I glanced over my shoulder as I heard it for a second time and noticed an off-duty bus pulling over to the curb very slowly (so as not to splash us). The driver opened the door and called out to me that he would be glad to give us a ride to our destination. Unsure about accepting a ride from a stranger, and even more anxious at asking him to take me to an out-of-the-way street I hesitated. He joked that I was probably wearing Buzz on my back to keep him from getting swept downstream by the muddy river of water that the street had become. Then the rain got stronger, the wind got windier, and the river that was the road flowed faster. I thanked the driver and clambered aboard.

I gave him the street name and he graciously drove us to The FamBily's street. He let us off at the corner and I thanked him profusely. He jokingly said that next time it rains he'll keep an eye out for us. I apologized for having dripped water everywhere and told him that I'd bring cookies next time.

Buzz and I made our way down the street.
It was warm and dry at The FamBily House. Well, dry enough. The Parentals had gone to Ginot to visit. So we made ourselves comfortable. Dibble was Home playing on the Xbox and the kitties were being silly. 

Eventually The Parentals made it home. The Crazy Lady cooked up an awesomely delicious and filling Taco Tuesday dinner for us. We dined and dashed as is our usual.

We drugged Buzz with allergy meds and some mucolit because then ever-shifting weather is making his little system craaaaazy. He's ok, just has that annoying seal cough that scares teachers. I'm hoping that the allergy meds actually help him sleep tonight. (I'm an exhausted mom, obviously I have ulterior motives...)
Tomorrow I'm thinking I might bake the mini cakes or some cookies for Shabbos. The week is going to be over in no time!

No comments: